Default Age of gas furnace in new construction

Hello!

Did an inspection on a new home this morning for a young couple buying their first home. Inspected the gas furnace nameplate and found the unit was dated 2014. Compressor was dated 2017. House was just completed. Obviously, this is going to affect their warranty and possible sale in the future because of the age. Other than bringing it up to the builder and having an extended warranty written, is there something else that should be done? It operated as intended.

Thanks for the help!

Jim

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Age of gas furnace in new construction

It may not affect the warranty at all. It depends on when the serial number is recorded. NOS or boxed inventory siting in a warehouse is installed frequently, so it wouldn't be the first time.

It may raise an eyebrow at resale, not much you (the HI) can do about it now.

Dom.

Jim Murphy,

I say nice catch and this should be brought up to your clients... and we both know that more than likely something is amiss with a unit being 4-5 years old and placed in a new home. I'm guessing that the unit either had a problem and sent back under warranty and or is a refurbished unit....or was taken out of a different home, where it was not sized correctly, or changed out for some other reason.

Most of the units I find in new homes have a manufacture date only weeks before they are installed (same for water heaters). If I were purchasing a (the) New home, I would demand a new unit be installed in my new home...something does not smell right about this Gen Contractor or the HVAC contractor or both....maybe the general wanted a new unit for his beach house...so they got swapped out. Not everything that smells rotten is in Denmark.

Shouldn't be an issue at all if the furnace is brand new. Have home verify that with a builder or company who installed the furnace or better yet call the manufacturer, give them a serial number and find out.

Quote Originally Posted by JIM MURPHY View Post
    Hello!

Did an inspection on a new home this morning for a young couple buying their first home. Inspected the gas furnace nameplate and found the unit was dated 2014. Compressor was dated 2017. House was just completed. Obviously, this is going to affect their warranty and possible sale in the future because of the age. Other than bringing it up to the builder and having an extended warranty written, is there something else that should be done? It operated as intended.

Thanks for the help!

Jim
    Jim,
    Are you sure on the age of the gas furnace? Check the serial number for age and reconfirm that it wasn't the A.N.S.I. date.

Ken Amelin
    Cape Cod's Best Inspection Services
    www.midcapehomeinspection.com