Default Need Advice - Interesting Form Board Removal Situation

Just inspected a home in San Francisco where significant foundation repair was done and form boards were left in place on one side that has only about 18 inch air gap between neighbors wall. Not even the skinniest of skinny person could squeeze into the space.

The other side of the wall was renovated and is completely sealed off with drywall and finished bedrooms.

I see two recommendations, but would like other's input:
    1. Cut the interior walls and punch through the exterior siding in various places to access the space and pry out the boards, although it's unlikely the entire depth of the form could be pulled out, leaving some subterranean. I estimate this would run north of $10k and still not completely remove the entire threat.

2. Soak the area with a high-residual termite repellant every few years and watch for swarms. This is the more cost effective route.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Need Advice - Interesting Form Board Removal Situation

Quote Originally Posted by George Corium View Post
    I see two recommendations, but would like other's input.
    Any other ideas? Thanks.
    I wouldn't design or recommend a specific repair, but instead I'd state the reasons the defect needs correction, and the ramifications (if any) of not correcting the defect.

And I hope you proposed suggestion #2 was tongue-in-cheek.

Default Re: Need Advice - Interesting Form Board Removal Situation

Can't imagine why the contractor left the form boards in place. Unbelievable.

If the original contractor can't come out to remove it, at that point I personally would spray the wood multiple times with Bora-Care and monitor.

John Chung
    Bluebird Inspections