Default Fire rated doors

How do I tell if the door between the house and attatched garage is a fire rated door? Are they suppoed to be labled as such?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Fire rated doors

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Chambers View Post
    How do I tell if the door between the house and attatched garage is a fire rated door? Are they suppoed to be labled as such?
    There is no requirement for them to be fire rated. That is ONE option.
    If a door is fire rated, it will have a label attesting to the fact on the edge of the door, even though the manufacturer says to paint all 6 sides of every door.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

And while the door should be painted on all 6 sides - the label shall not be painted.

And the rating is not of the "door", the rating is of the door, jambs, hardware, and threshold.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

"suppoed"? sic. How embarrassing.
    Ok, from your responses I gather that I best bone up on this topic. Apparently I have forgotten some of what I was supposed to have learned. Thankyou guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    There is no requirement for them to be fire rated
    They are around here...

R309.1 Opening Penetration
    Openings from a private garage directly into a room used for sleeping purposes shall not be permitted. Other openings between the garage and the residence shall be equipped with solid wood doors not less than 1-3/8? (35 mm) in thickness, solid- or honeycomb-core steel doors not less than 1-3/8? (35 mm) thick, or 20-minute fire-rated doors.

www.1stproinspection.com

Certified Master Inspector
    Like Us On Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/1stproinspection/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    There is no requirement for them to be fire rated. That is ONE option.
    If a door is fire rated, it will have a label attesting to the fact on the edge of the door, even though the manufacturer says to paint all 6 sides of every door.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Lewis View Post
    They are around here...

R309.1 Opening Penetration
    Openings from a private garage directly into a room used for sleeping purposes shall not be permitted. Other openings between the garage and the residence shall be equipped with solid wood doors not less than 1-3/8? (35 mm) in thickness, solid- or honeycomb-core steel doors not less than 1-3/8? (35 mm) thick, or 20-minute fire-rated doors.
    Roy,

I think if you re-read that, you will see that Jim is correct.

From that code section (bold and underlining are mine): "Other openings between the garage and the residence shall be equipped with solid wood doors not less than 1-3/8" (35 mm) in thickness, solid- or honeycomb-core steel doors not less than 1-3/8" (35 mm) thick, or 20-minute fire-rated doors." (I replaced " ? " with " " ", 'inch symbol).

There is an OPTION for a rated door in that code section, it is one of THREE OPTIONS.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Roy,

solid wood doors not less than 1-3/8" (35 mm) in thickness
    Then if the above is used it would be rated for fire..
    Anything other that the 3 options would not..Correct?

www.1stproinspection.com

Like Us On Facebook

Then if the above is used it would be rated for fire..
    - - - Added this clarification with edit - - -

I originally said: "It would have a fire rating, yes, but a fire rating is not required."

- - - The clarification is this: I was referring to the 20 minuted rated door, not just a "solid wood door" - - -
    - - - A "solid wood door" has NO fire rating by virtue of it being a "solid wood door", regardless of the door's thickness, without being tested to the appropriate standard, and if that door assembly passed the test, it would be labeled as a rated door to the test it passed. - - -

Anything other that the 3 options would not..Correct?
    Only the 20 minute rated door would have a fire rating ... the other two allowed options have no fire rating.

Correct - only those three options are allowed.

Now a couple of things to think about:

a) Is a 'solid core' (particle board) a "solid wood" door?

b) Is a 1-3/4" raised panel door a minimum 1-3/8" thick door?

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 04-15-2019 at 04:08 PM. Reason: for clarification
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Anyone have thoughts on those?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

a) Yes. Particleboard is primarily wood with an adhesive binder. A solid wood door would also consist of wood with an adhesive binder (since there really aren't enough 36+" diameter trees from which you could make a solid wood door out of a single-piece of wood). Around here, the AHJ accepts 1-3/8" particleboard door as "solid wood".

b) No. The code does not say "average of 1-3/8"".

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

(bold and underlining are mine)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    a) Yes. Particleboard is primarily wood with an adhesive binder. A solid wood door would also consist of wood with an adhesive binder (since there really aren't enough 36+" diameter trees from which you could make a solid wood door out of a single-piece of wood). Around here, the AHJ accepts 1-3/8" particleboard door as "solid wood".
    First bold and underlined part: "primarily" wood, yes, but is not "solid wood".

Second bold and underlined part: would not need any adhesive with 1-3/8" thick wood slats, T&G together, which is the way very old doors were made.

Third bold and underlined part: as do all AHJ that I know of, and as I would also accept ... even though it is not equivalent to "solid wood" as "solid wood" has strength from its fibers, and particle board, as we all know, lacks strength (but it would have a similar density, but ... is the adhesive similarly fire resistant (flame spread and smoke developed) as a "solid wood" door would be? Why would I accept it? Because I think it would be extremely difficult to not accept it due to the virtual universal acceptance of them, and lack of evidence to state that they are the case of damage or spread of fire beyond which a "solid wood" door would allow.

b) No. The code does not say "average of 1-3/8"".
    Correct, and even the 1-3/4" door I mentioned (instead of the minimum 1-3/8" thickness) does not meet that minimum - the 1-3/8" raised panel doors I have seen typically measure 1/2" or less thick at the recesses, thus a 1-3/4" thick door would only be around 7/8" thick there (given the presumption that the recesses are the same depth, making the recesses thicker).

Then there are those fiberglass and other skinned doors (other than metal) which contractors put in 'for style' - not allowed either.

I have had contractors replace those doors with minimum 1-3/8" solid core doors and apply raised panels to those doors, the look is great, and the doors are not compromised.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I have had contractors replace those doors with minimum 1-3/8" solid core doors and apply raised panels to those doors, the look is great, and the doors are not compromised.
    Or, they temporarily replace the decorative door with the 1-3/8 solid until the final is signed-off and then put the one they wanted back in.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Or, they temporarily replace the decorative door with the 1-3/8 solid until the final is signed-off and then put the one they wanted back in.
    In which case there is a record of the wrong door, followed by a record of an acceptable correction ... after which there is nothing which can be done by the AHJ ... then it is up to you guys, home inspectors, to catch that switcheroo.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Fare rated, or Fire suppression?

Openings between the garage and residence shall be equipped with; A: solid wood door/s, not less than 1-3/8 inches (35 mm) in thickness, B: solid and/or honeycomb-core steel doors, not less than 1-3/8 inches (35 mm) thick, C: 20-minute fire-rated doors, as well as, D: products bearing the Warnock Hersey (WH-ETL) Mark and Intertek, indicate compliance to relevant building codes, association criteria, and product safety and performance standards. Nearly 80% of North America's wood fire-rated doors bear the WH Mark, combined with a self closing device.

Did I ever mention, You're The Best, bunch of inspectors recently?

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

Some municipalities have a safety inspection requirement for transfers of residential properties. Such as mine was in PA. Included in the inspection was the requirement of a fire rated door between the garage and living space. Since many inspectors have told me that they don't inspect to building code requirements, it's still a good idea to include the door's fire rating status.

Quote Originally Posted by David Crawford View Post
    Some municipalities have a safety inspection requirement for transfers of residential properties. Such as mine was in PA. Included in the inspection was the requirement of a fire rated door between the garage and living space. Since many inspectors have told me that they don't inspect to building code requirements, it's still a good idea to include the door's fire rating status.
    Morning, David and members. Hope to find you all well and in good spirits today.
    I concur. Whenever possible, I note applicable code in a way that limits my PIA liability.

As for fire rating entry points.
    I note products bearing the Warnock Hersey (WH-ETL) Mark and Intertek, images or doors and frames and include WH numbers in reports and images.
    WH image.JPG

Robert,

Not sure why you are trying to create a "D" - your "D" is nothing more than one of type of "C" in the code.

David,

Local requirements is why we refer to the ICC codes, in this case the IRC.

Some states have statewide codes which are adopted for enforcement statewide (for theoretical statewide consistency of enforcement) Florida is one of those.

Some states have statewide codes which are adopted for use statewide ... If a city or county chooses to adopt a code - I think NC is somewhat like that.

Some states have statewide codes which are adopted for use statewide ... in areas which do not specifically adopt a code - I think Texas is like that.

Some states don't have statewide adopted codes.

Now, we get into cities and counties ... and each may have their own code that they adopt ... or no code ... or make their own code requirements.

Which is why many discussions end up including a statement similar to "home inspectors need to know what their local code is".

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I've run into a few rated doors that have the rating embossed into the top of the door. When painted they are still legible.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    I've run into a few rated doors that have the rating embossed into the top of the door. When painted they are still legible.
    That is not a proper label to consider the door a labelled 20-minute door.

Many (most?) manufacturers of doors (at least those who also make rated doors) make the doors on one assembly line, and the difference between a "rated door" and a "non-rated door" is that label ... which costs extra to have put on, and it is that label which makes it a "rated door".

No proper label and the door is a "non-rated door".

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

That is not a proper label to consider the door a labelled 20-minute door.

Many (most?) manufacturers of doors (at least those who also make rated doors) make the doors on one assembly line, and the difference between a "rated door" and a "non-rated door" is that label ... which costs extra to have put on, and it is that label which makes it a "rated door".

No proper label and the door is a "non-rated door".
    Where is the prescription for the label? I just reviewed R302.5.1 and it doesn't describe how the fire rating label is done.

Where is the prescription for the label? I just reviewed R302.5.1 and it doesn't describe how the fire rating label is done.
    From the IRC: (underlining and bold are mine)
    - R302.5 Dwelling-garage opening and penetration protection.
    - - Openings and penetrations through the walls or ceilings separating the dwelling from the garage shall be in accordance with Sections R302.5.1 through R302.5.3.
    - - R302.5.1 Opening protection.
    - - - Openings from a private garage directly into a room used for sleeping purposes shall not be permitted. Other openings between the garage and residence shall be equipped with solid wood doors not less than 1 3/8 inches (35 mm) in thickness, solid or honeycomb-core steel doors not less than 1 3/8 inches (35 mm) thick, or 20-minute fire-rated doors, equipped with a self-closing or automatic-closing device.
    - - R302.5.2 Duct penetration.
    - - - Ducts in the garage and ducts penetrating the walls or ceilings separating the dwelling from the garage shall be constructed of a minimum No. 26 gage (0.48 mm) sheet steel, or other approved material and shall not have openings into the garage.
    - - R302.5.3 Other penetrations.
    - - - Penetrations through the separation required in Section R302.6 shall be protected as required by Section R302.11, Item 4.

(
    - R302.11 Fireblocking.
    - - In combustible construction, fireblocking shall be provided to cut off both vertical and horizontal concealed draft openings and to form an effective fire barrier between stories, and between a top story and the roof space.
    - - Fireblocking shall be provided in wood-framed construction in the following locations:
    - - - 4. At openings around vents, pipes, ducts, cables and wires at ceiling and floor level, with an approved material to resist the free passage of flame and products of combustion. The material filling this annular space shall not be required to meet the ASTM E136 requirements.
    )

"20-minute fire-rated doors"

So, the question appears to be this: What is a "fire-rated door"?

To be "fire-rated", the door has to be test to s given standard, pass the test, and then there needs to be a label on the door stating the standard that the door is listed to (test to), and the time-duration that it was approved to.

With no label, you do not know anything about how that door was tested.

I've run into a few rated doors that have the rating embossed into the top of the door.

And that embossing stated that it was a 20-minuted rated door, it stated the third party testing agency which tested it, and it stated the standard to which that third party tested it?

A "fire-rated door" is a listed and labeled to identify what it was tested to meet and by whom it was tested ... just like a UL or other listing and labeling mark on electrical equipment ... would you accept an embossed area which said "electrical panel", "water heater", "gas range", etc?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

So to clarify, this question:

Where is the prescription for the label?
    Has the following answer:

To be "fire-rated", the door has to be test to s given standard, pass the test, and then there needs to be a label on the door stating the standard that the door is listed to (test to), and the time-duration that it was approved to.
    So where is it written or stated (or prescribed) that a "label" must be applied?

Or, for example, what specific data must be embossed, engraved, written or otherwise transfixed upon such label? Can the label be plastic, paper, metal, etc?

For that matter, given the granular precision with which most codes are written, the method of identification shouldn't be left to chance.

It seems to be a bit vague.

FYI, I don't have any particular interest, but I do find these issues to be a good example of inadequate communication where standards or codes are concerned.

I've done some additional research and finally found a NFPA 80 prescription for labeling fire-rated doors.

"Label should be attached to the hinge edge of the door"
    "Labels for fire doors with latching hardware have minimum latch throw dimensions"

And then there are protocols for performing fire door inspections.

However, these prescriptions are standards for consideration to be added as codes for local and national codes, and as standards, have no legal weight. Since, the IRC does not describe how labeling a fire-rated door should be done, where on the door the fire rating label shall be, what the label shall look like, or who should determine the fire rating; we can only describe what we see. I mostly see metal fire-rating labels, but I've seen paper labels and as I said earlier, a couple with the fire-rating embossed into the top of the door.

It appears that UL and Warnock Hersey are the two major organizations rating fire doors, but the IRC doesn't specify who should do the fire rating test.

How many know what NEC 110.3(B) says?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Anyone looking at/for "fire-rated doors" surely must know what NEC 110.3(B) is regarding electrical stuff, otherwise, there is no need to look at/for "fire-rated doors" as those are minuscule compared to electrical stuff one looks at.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

How many know what NEC 110.3(B) says?
    Of course most know what 110.3(B) states.
    However, it isn't an answer to the topic at hand, miniscule or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Of course most know what 110.3(B) states.
    However, it isn't an answer to the topic at hand, miniscule or not.
    It is a question leading to an answer.

If one reads 110.3(B) and looks for a listing and labeling mark when the code says listed and labeled, then one would presumably do the same thing when the code says fire-rated ... look for the listing label stating the rating.

Instead of trying to say 'Well, it doesn't specifically say what to look for'.

It's one of those Duh! things where the obvious is right there in front of you ... as in 'Ummm, "fire-rated", that must mean it has been tested for a fire rating, which means it will be listed someplace, which means that it will have a label on it telling me what I need to know'.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

"which means that it will have a label on it telling me what I need to know'.
    Re-read what a couple of us have asked; no where is it specified how the information is to be "labeled".

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Re-read what a couple of us have asked; no where is it specified how the information is to be "labeled".
    Re-read all the efforts you guys have put into not looking at/for true labels and trying to explain away "fire-rated" door as being something real and substantial.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Re-read all the efforts you guys have put into not looking at/for true labels and trying to explain away "fire-rated" door as being something real and substantial.
    I can't imagine why you are taking his so personally.
    You have missed the point completely.

At least for me, I haven't lost site of the reason for a label. And I'm quick to point out that a component that requires labeling isn't in compliance without said "label".

A simple inquiry as to where the code defines a label, what type, or what info should be legible has you quoting the NEC and getting very defensive.

If you don't want to answer, then say so.
    If you don't know, then say so.
    If it's not defined, then say so.

I'm done with this topic as of now.

Not taking it personally - just happened notice a couple of HIs pointedly spending effort trying to explain why something so obvious doesn't mean what it says, when those same HIs have shown that they clearly understand it in other codes.

It's not those HIs I'm clarifying it for - it's the other HIs reading it - some (especially newbie HIs) may have started to wonder about it with those seasoned HIs were so seriously trying to explain it away as 'Aw, shucks ma'am, that little old parchment paper door ain't no problem being there'.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

What would you all say about this door to the garage?

door2.jpg

www.1stproinspection.com

Like Us On Facebook

Roy,

Unless it is properly labeled as a 20-minute rated door, that door doesn't meet code.

And if that door has a proper label with such a rating, I would call and verify it just to make sure someone didn't put the label on it from another door.

https://architectural.masonite.com/g...azing-options/

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Agree!
    Roy,

Unless it is properly labeled as a 20-minute rated door, that door doesn't meet code.

And if that door has a proper label with such a rating, I would call and verify it just to make sure someone didn't put the label on it from another door.

https://architectural.masonite.com/g...azing-options/

www.1stproinspection.com

Like Us On Facebook

Roy,

Did you click on the link and look at the glass for their doors?

If so, did you notice anything about some of the glass types offered? Some seem a bit for use in a door.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Roy,

Did you click on the link and look at the glass for their doors?

If so, did you notice anything about some of the glass types offered? Some seem a bit for use in a door.
    I did , but I don't believe all the doors listed were fire rated..
    Were they?

www.1stproinspection.com

Like Us On Facebook

I did , but I don't believe all the doors listed were fire rated..
    Were they?
    I'm not sure of that, but they were showing examples of "20 min Fire Rated Glazing Options".

However, they were all doors with lites in them - and two options stated "(Not Safety Rated)".

Unless the lites were less than 3" in size (would not allow a 3" sphere to pass through), each lite needs to be safety glass (safety rated).

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 04-29-2019 at 05:14 PM. Reason: ??? "kites on them"??? should have been "lites in them"
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I'm not sure of that, but they were showing examples of "20 min Fire Rated Glazing Options".

However, they were all doors with lites in them - and two options stated "(Not Safety Rated)".

Unless the lites were less than 3" in size (would not allow a 3" sphere to pass through), each lite needs to be safety glass (safety rated).
    I wouldn't want to bet my life on any of them.

www.1stproinspection.com

Like Us On Facebook

What would you all say about this door to the garage?

door2.jpg
    I would not consider that door to be a safe door to enter and exit between a house and garage. It is not properly fitted in the frame. I cannot see a seal. Windows in a door in that situation should not be acceptable because windows in a door automaticly make it "Not Solid". Thank you all for
    your replies. I did learn from them.

I've done some additional research and finally found a NFPA 80 prescription for labeling fire-rated doors.

"Label should be attached to the hinge edge of the door"
    "Labels for fire doors with latching hardware have minimum latch throw dimensions"

And then there are protocols for performing fire door inspections.

However, these prescriptions are standards for consideration to be added as codes for local and national codes, and as standards, have no legal weight. Since, the IRC does not describe how labeling a fire-rated door should be done, where on the door the fire rating label shall be, what the label shall look like, or who should determine the fire rating; we can only describe what we see. I mostly see metal fire-rating labels, but I've seen paper labels and as I said earlier, a couple with the fire-rating embossed into the top of the door.

It appears that UL and Warnock Hersey are the two major organizations rating fire doors, but the IRC doesn't specify who should do the fire rating test.
    Thank you for your answer, Lon. For some reasoning, other than to which I am aware, I was not notified of the continued stings in the thread.

Very complete answer. You are a very astute gentleman in you research to a codified question, and your ability to roll out the necessary answers to Jerrys question. Robert, why create a D? It is nothing more than a C in the code?
    Answer. "UL and Warnock Hersey are the two major organizations rating fire doors."
    Again, Lon. Much thanks. Robert.

Lon, would you mind if I used your results to create a short blog? I will do my best to insure credits to you are made.

I would not consider that door to be a safe door to enter and exit between a house and garage. It is not properly fitted in the frame. I cannot see a seal. Windows in a door in that situation should not be acceptable because windows in a door automaticly make it "Not Solid". Thank you all for
    your replies. I did learn from them.
    I know looks can be deceiving, being divorced, lol, but not all doors are made from wood. When 26 gauge galvanized sheet metal is attached to a hollow door properly, you achieve the fire separation required.
    Likely a fire rated metal door and glazing, Elizabeth.

Think of this, Elizabeth. Meeting fire separation requirements, in a garage, or other habitable to non habitable space, IE; an attic hatch, is typically/usually uncomplicated, sorry for using one of your expressions, Jerry,, and minimal, as one compared to what would be necessary in an actual 'fire-rated' assembly.

Windows in a door in that situation should not be acceptable because windows in a door automaticly make it "Not Solid".
    Elizabeth,

The "solid" part is just one of the three options:
    1) "solid wood" door
    2) steel skinned door (no soild core required)
    3) actual 20-minute rated door (whatever passes the test and is properly labeled)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT YOUNG View Post
    When 26 gauge galvanized sheet metal is attached to a hollow door properly, you achieve the fire separation required.
    Robert,

Attaching sheet metal to a hollow core door achieves nothing ... other than making the door ugly.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 05-03-2019 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Speelin' in reply to Robert - "hollow core do it achieves" "do it" = "door"
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Afternoon, Jerry.
    Link below.
    20-180 minute laminated ceramic glass.
    Impact safety rated to CPSC Cat. II.

https://safti.com/wp-content/uploads...e-Brochure.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT YOUNG View Post
    20-180 minute laminated ceramic glass.
    Impact safety rated to CPSC Cat. II.
    Robert,

Except that it doesn't matter what the glass itself is rated for.

When used for large fixed opening glass, that is a starting point (but not all that is required).

When used in a door, the entire assembly door, jambs, lites (If present), and hardware are rated as an assembly to get the rating.

There are (i recall having seen them before) door slabs and hardware ... and separate frames ... which are rated for use with each other - but that gets complicated.

The glass, though, is part of the door assembly, and that glass needs to be rated, but you are not allowed to take a rated door without a lite in it, cut a hole, put in a piece of rated glass, and do anything with it that requires a rated door as that door lost its rating by being modified.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Robert,

Except that it doesn't matter what the glass itself is rated for.

When used for large fixed opening glass, that is a starting point (but not all that is required).

When used in a door, the entire assembly door, jambs, lites (If present), and hardware are rated as an assembly to get the rating.

There are (i recall having seen them before) door slabs and hardware ... and separate frames ... which are rated for use with each other - but that gets complicated.

The glass, though, is part of the door assembly, and that glass needs to be rated, but you are not allowed to take a rated door without a lite in it, cut a hole, put in a piece of rated glass, and do anything with it that requires a rated door as that door lost its rating by being modified.
    Bravo Mr. Peck
    One minor correction , if you please. A UL listed door company can alter a fire rated door (width,height, add a fire rated assembly) only because they are following the original door manufacture's guidelines. They also own the door for "life" and affix their UL shop ID tag to the door/frame. Where the UL label is affixed is USUALLY on the hinge side of the door leaf there are times where the tag may be affixed to the top of the door leaf, i.e. the door is fitted with a continuous fire rated hinge assembly. Common sense placement is not carried out the N'th degree in the NFPA code in this case.

As to the door built with a 3x8 sheet of fire Pyrex or other fire rated ceramic glass one will find the door leaf and frame assembly to be built of steel with some particularly large hinges (2 each) at the very top of the door leaf to carry the immense weight.

As far as door labels themselves. There are steel riveted ones, peel and stick vinyl ones . The design of the label is left up to the manufacture of the door. Again the Code does not limit the manufacture hands in the design of the label or the cost but the label will be approved by the authority that the manufacturer is complying to. The door frames can also be the same as above or in some cases the frame is stamped with the information.

As stated all the components need to be married together to have an "assembly" that is fire rated. You are point on there.

Ron B.
    Certified Fire Door Inspector