Default 10 Year Smoke Alarms...how to determine?

why is it so difficult to type a message in this forum...???...the message window flickers and sputters; and doesn't catch all typed letters. I know it's not my keyboard. I tried to enter a simple, important question; & got this damn retartedness.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: 10 Year Smoke Alarms...how to determine?

Because your computer is crashing?

No problems here.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Mine is good too. Process of elimination. Maybe try signing-on with a different computer?

I just blanket recommend replacement of smoke alarms and upgrading into bedrooms (if not already present) when the new owner moves in. They are relatively cheap. And, that way, they don't have to try and remember to remember to replace them when they do reach 10 years. In CA, all new smoke alarms are required to have 10 year (non-removable) batteries, so when the 10 years are up, (theoretically) the battery dies and they have to replace the whole unit.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

[lets try this again, then]...

Trying to determine how I can ascertain if a smoke detector is of the new, 10 year sealed battery variety.I?ve looked at them in stores; and images online...& they seem to have their own distinct slim profile look. But aside from that, are there any distinguishing features or markings/identifications to look for.(one would think that the industry would do just that for
    something this important...provide some sort of marking/identification).

thanx,
    mf
    Insurance Inspector

The most (and likely only) reliable method is to get the model and date info off the actual unit, typically found on the back or under an access door.

Then you can (if necessary) look up the specifics. Most newer units I have seen show the date of the unit itself printed on the label.

Dom.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Forman View Post
    [lets try this again, then]...

Trying to determine how I can ascertain if a smoke detector is of the new, 10 year sealed battery variety.I?ve looked at them in stores; and images online...& they seem to have their own distinct slim profile look. But aside from that, are there any distinguishing features or markings/identifications to look for.(one would think that the industry would do just that for
    something this important...provide some sort of marking/identification).
    I am holding a Kidde 10 year smoke alarm (that lasted 1 year, 4 months) and it has embossed onto it "10 Year Smoke Alarm" as well as "Always On Sealed Lithium Battery".

In addition, there is no obvious battery compartment.

Once again, I feel that new owners should just buy new smoke alarms. That way, they know the date of installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Once again, I feel that new owners should just buy new smoke alarms. That way, they know the date of installation.
    And, for older homes which don't have wired interconnected smoke alarms, recommend installing new wirelessly interconnected smoke alarms.

That's what we did 13 years ago, and this year, when it was time to replace the batteries, they started acting up, after a few slow Duh! moments, I went ... 'Well, they are over 10 years old and should be replaced anyway - so we replaced them.

Wirelessly interconnected battery operated smoke alarms are not cheap, but with a 10 year life, it is acceptable.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Maryland, DC, and Northern Virginia, electrical only

Jerry and Gunnar probably are aware of this, but for anyone who isn't . . within the year I expect to see smoke alarms on the market that comply with the updated standard. I'll probably replaced mine, even though they're ~three years old.

- - - Updated - - -

Jerry and Gunnar probably are aware of this, but for anyone who isn't . . within the year I expect to see smoke alarms on the market that comply with the updated standard. I'll probably replace mine, even though they're ~three years old.

Already in the Big Box stores for the standard smoke alarms.

The wirelessly interconnected smoke alarms are still battery types which take 3-AAA batteries (at least the ones I've seen).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    I am holding a Kidde 10 year smoke alarm (that lasted 1 year, 4 months) and it has embossed onto it "10 Year Smoke Alarm" as well as "Always On Sealed Lithium Battery".

In addition, there is no obvious battery compartment.
    Gunar...

you wouldn't happen to have a model # on that unit, would you? (so I can check out the image online)

[& yes...you're right...no battery compartment, dead giveaway]

thanx,

MF

Last edited by Mark Forman; 04-27-2019 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Forman View Post
    Gunar... you wouldn't happen to have a model # on that unit, would you? (so I can check out the image online) [& yes...you're right...no battery compartment, dead giveaway]
    MF
    Hi Mark,

Kidde Model P3010L
    https://www.utcccs-cdn.com/hvac/docs...P3010L_ENG.pdf