Default Refinance, water test on well

So I am refinancing and at the last minuite the mortgage company have decided they need the well tested and they need to supply test results, chain of custody and invoice.

Does the mortgage company contact the Lab to get the results and verify the chain of custody, or do I send it to them once I receive it?

I am on a tight deadline and don't want to screw this up and cause a delay.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Refinance, water test on well

Quote Originally Posted by james edward View Post
    So I am refinancing and at the last minuite the mortgage company have decided they need the well tested and they need to supply test results, chain of custody and invoice. Does the mortgage company contact the Lab to get the results and verify the chain of custody, or do I send it to them once I receive it? I am on a tight deadline and don't want to screw this up and cause a delay.
    Sorry James, I have never heard of that, have no idea and I expect that most here will not know the answer either. Seems to me the best bet is to contact the mortgage company and get their requirements.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Thanks for the input, I agree it?s a strange request.

Because they want chain of custody records and documentation, I would have them order the lab test, which will cost more because of the chain of custody documents, and because the lab will need to send their own person out to ensure that chain of custody is kept, which will also cost more for them.

"cost more for them" = "cost more for you" as you will be paying for those costs out of the refinance funds before you get your share of them.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I do a fair amount of well tests. The chain of custody form is filled out with every test when I turn them in. Its not a big deal. Date and address of test house. type of test, the person and contact number, and type of well test (there are several types of well test.) A homeowner could do this, its not a specialized thing. Get the sample bottles (FHA well test takes two bottles), fill out form, take samples top lab, and when you get the results, there is also a copy of the chain of custody form showing when the sample was taken, when it was turned in, and who received it.

Chain of custody forms are used with all labs that do tests. Ive used them for asbestos sampling for decades.

I figured it would cost me more. Thanks everyone for the info so far! Having never done this before does the mortgage company verify the results and chain of custody with the lab?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    I do a fair amount of well tests. The chain of custody form is filled out with every test when I turn them in. Its not a big deal. Date and address of test house. type of test, the person and contact number, and type of well test (there are several types of well test.) A homeowner could do this, its not a specialized thing. Get the sample bottles (FHA well test takes two bottles), fill out form, take samples top lab, and when you get the results, there is also a copy of the chain of custody form showing when the sample was taken, when it was turned in, and who received it.

Chain of custody forms are used with all labs that do tests. Ive used them for asbestos sampling for decades.
    All good information. The chain of custody = chain of Liability.

As for the well equipment, well head, pump type/age, plumbing and electrical. I would suspect this to isrequired with images or am I mistaken?

Looking forward to your answer, Jack.

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT YOUNG View Post
    All good information. The chain of custody = chain of Liability.

As for the well equipment, well head, pump type/age, plumbing and electrical. I would suspect this to isrequired with images or am I mistaken?

Looking forward to your answer, Jack.

No, they are not interested in that at all!

No, they are not interested in that at all!
    That surprises me. Equipment failure can lead to expensive repairs and contamination.
    Just because the water tested normal that day does not mean problems will not insure further down the road due to equipment age/failure.
    Thank, James.

Well water tests are ONLY for the water, hence the need for the chain of custody forms.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Well water tests are ONLY for the water, hence the need for the chain of custody forms.
    Thank you, Jack.

Thanks for the input, I agree it?s a strange request.
    James I have had testing done on wells before for refinancing and it IS standard practice for mortgage companies to do this because of the interest in your dwelling. Tests? can be done for 145 dollars in my area. Not sure about where you live. Chain of custody is important and you can have the testing company to directly send the certification to the mortgage POC. At least it works in my area. And are you on a septic sewage system as well? If you are then you may have to have that certified as well. Has an appraiser been out to your home as well? That is a different inspection all together.

Cheers

So I am refinancing and at the last minuite the mortgage company have decided they need the well tested and they need to supply test results, chain of custody and invoice.

Does the mortgage company contact the Lab to get the results and verify the chain of custody, or do I send it to them once I receive it?

I am on a tight deadline and don't want to screw this up and cause a delay.
    I work for a county water testing laboratory. It is common here in Minnesota for a refinance to require a well water test with the chain of custody and invoice required. Most often they require an independent 3rd party (not the homeowner) to collect and deliver the sample. I always direct customers to the mortgage company for the specific testing requirements, as I have found it can vary from one company to another. Some companies may allow a homeowner to collect and deliver the sample to the lab.
    I have had homeowners bring in samples for testing, only to find out the mortgage company will not accept the results because it was not collected and delivered by an independent 3
    rd
    party. Then they end up paying for the test twice. I would specifically ask the mortgage company who can collect the deliver the sample to the lab.

Also, I would ask the mortgage company which tests are required. For example, some require lead and some do not, why pay for a test if it is not required. In Minnesota, most require coliform bacteria and nitrates.

Unless recently changed, beware FHA test requirements from the lender. I ran into this a lot when inspecting. At that time there were NO specific tests were REQUIRED by the FHA. They only test stated in the FHA regulations was whatever was normally required by locality in which the property existed. Somehow banks looked at the EPA RECOMMENDED tests and that included a bunch of tests that were expensive and took too long to obtain results because the subject never came up until a couple of days before closing. Here, the only test required by the state or localities at the time was for e-coli. And as stated previously the test sample had to be collected by a third party a a chain of custody was simple.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brooks View Post
    Unless recently changed, beware FHA test requirements from the lender. I ran into this a lot when inspecting. At that time there were NO specific tests were REQUIRED by the FHA. They only test stated in the FHA regulations was whatever was normally required by locality in which the property existed. Somehow banks looked at the EPA RECOMMENDED tests and that included a bunch of tests that were expensive and took too long to obtain results because the subject never came up until a couple of days before closing. Here, the only test required by the state or localities at the time was for e-coli. And as stated previously the test sample had to be collected by a third party a a chain of custody was simple.
    Please remember I said in the post that works in my area. Different States different rules.