Thread: Saying good bye

Default Saying good bye

After 30 years of inspecting, I have sold my business and no longer inspecting. I'm putting my flashlight away, and burning my coveralls.
    I'm going to do my best to not look at houses with an inspectors eye as we are driving.
    I will no longer go into friends homes and look up.
    I'm also going to remove myself from message boards and Facebook groups.
    I cleaned out my work car, and can now drive without the constant rattle of ladder and gear surrounding me. I'm not sure I will get used to the quiet.

I have met some really great people here on Inspection News. I want to thank Brian for everything he has done for the industry with this board. Its been a great source for information.Brian,
    I value our friendship and really appreciate the cards you sent me after the death of all three of my dogs.
    Those cards meant a lot to me in my time of grief. I have each one on the board above my desk.

Thanks to my friends at IN, its been fun.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Saying good bye

Jack,

Wishing you the best of times in your retirement and travels.

From a fellow retiree (but one who hasn't left cold turkey like you are).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jack,

I am sorry to see you go. You have been an excellent presence and source of information. I will miss you.

Gunnar

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Good luck Jack, you'll be missed around here.

I guess you'll need a new phone number(s), unless you like being called for several years by past clients looking to hire you again!

Stay safe.

Dom.

Enjoy. You were a positive aspect for the group.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Jack,

You will be so missed in the inspection community!

We hope you enjoy the slower pace and have a great time with your family and friends. Look me up if you come to my area and I will do the same.

God Bless,
    David Swartz

Thumbs up Re: Saying good bye

Congratulations Jack!!

I'm happy that this industry has brought us together in business and friendship.

You will be missed but always remembered and I welcome your contact if when out in So Cal.

So glad those cards have meant so much to you.

Please stay in touch.

Take care,

Brian

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Bon chance, mon ami. Your sage advice will be missed. The hammock in the back yard is sure to get a great workout. Stay safe.

Pierre

Good luck to you and hopefully you will have 30 more good years of life enjoying family and friends.

Jack you'll be missed. You were my instructor in Illinois. I still have the notes lol. Have a great 2nd half of your life

Jack, I have been an intermittent, and sometime voracious, reader of this board over the years. Your clear and thoughtful answers have helped me to become a better inspector. Thank-you and I wish you the best in your retirement. Joe

"the relentless pursuit of perfection"

Hey Jack,

So sorry to know that you're leaving but extremely happy for you at the same time. It was a pleasure meeting you and your family at the ASHI conference a couple years ago and I truly enjoyed our long conversations over the phone. Hopefully we can still keep in touch... I wish you well and I hope you have a relaxing deserving retirement...

Jack,

Congratulations and enjoy!

Mark Cramer

Good luck Jack,

Find a hobby to keep out of the recliner. I to would like to retire but the market keeps beating up my IRA so I believe I will need to go full term. Luckily for me the housing market for the last ten years has kept me super busy to the point I haven't been able to participate in the forums.

Be well and take care

Mike

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

I am on the work 'til I drop plan, and hopefully the end of my inspecting isn't too near, but this biz gets stamped into your DNA. It's okay if you continue glancing around your children's or friend's homes. Heck, it keeps your mind active and in retirement, that becomes more important than anything.
    I noted how you timed your retirement with a nice round number of 2500 posts here.
    All the best to you and fish around the country have noted that their lives have just gotten tougher.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Red face Re: Saying good bye

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    After 30 years of inspecting, I have sold my business and no longer inspecting. I'm putting my flashlight away, and burning my coveralls.
    I'm going to do my best to not look at houses with an inspectors eye as we are driving.
    I will no longer go into friends homes and look up.
    I'm also going to remove myself from message boards and Facebook groups.
    I cleaned out my work car, and can now drive without the constant rattle of ladder and gear surrounding me. I'm not sure I will get used to the quiet.

I have met some really great people here on Inspection News. I want to thank Brian for everything he has done for the industry with this board. Its been a great source for information.Brian,
    I value our friendship and really appreciate the cards you sent me after the death of all three of my dogs.
    Those cards meant a lot to me in my time of grief. I have each one on the board above my desk.

Thanks to my friends at IN, its been fun.
    Good luck and smooth sailing, Jack. Take care, stay safe, and most of all, stay happy.

Ralph Stakely.

Hello Jack, congratulations on your 30 year career, and recognizing when it's time to say goodbye? Leaving clients and tools in the past. Appreciate all the good information that you have given, and that gets presented on this board, and the friendships and associations of the members.
    Best wishes to you in the years to come.

Chris Weekly

I was kind of forced to 'retire' after 26 years. I had leukemia in early 18. Spent over a month in a Phoenix hospital, and had to go back once a month for a week at a time. Until the end of last year I could barely move due to lack of oxygen in my blood and bone pain from all the chemo. I am OK now, the cancer is in full remission for almost a year. I joined the dark side and became a Realtor with my wife, who has been with Remax since 1988 and always made more $$ than me anyway. That is why I have not posted in over a year. However, I still read this and other forums. I no longer look for saggy roofs when driving, but I do look up and down when I enter a home. And it's hard not to reach over and press the gfi reset button when I use someone's bathroom. The hardest thing of all is keeping my mouth shut when reading a poor inspection report....

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. (Thomas Edison)

Jack,

Fair Winds and smooth sailing for your retirement. Hopefully all the bumps and bruises from 30 years of inspecting heal and don't remind you of "the job" every time you move.

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Congratulations on your retirement Jack. I have appreciated your contributions here over the years.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Jack, best to you with your future endeavors. I say this with all sincerity, You're the best.

You have been a solid source of information on/at Brian Hannigan InspectionNews helping many, I being one.
    I hope family and hobbies fill the void to which I suspect will be big.

It sounds like you are closing a lot of doors you enjoyed, or at the very least used as social media sites to generate business leads. The common thread though, all the friends you gathered along the way. What becomes of them?

Your situation is not unique. Retirement. Sounds good. What comes next?
    Realistically, much like hearing and tetanus. You can take away the audible noise but the ringing remains.

I hope family and hobbies fill the void.
    It was a great pleasure, Jack. Truly.

Best regards.
    Robert Young,
    Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

God bless Jack, I have 5 years to go to 30, I guess health will some day put an end to a fun career those roofs are getting steeper! Thank the good Lord there are not many crawl spaces in Florida.

Thanks for the comments and the private emails I have received. Someone told me there were some nice comments here, so I came back to see.
    I traveled a bunch in May, so I was away from computers, and did not have a lot of time to surf the web. I was recently in Broken Bow, Oklahoma and didn't have a good signal on phone or internet for almost a week. That was oddly nice.

I had been doing pretty well turning it off until I starting looking at the lodge I was staying in. There weren't any plumbing vents going thru the roof. I started looking at other cabins around me and none of them had vents. However, my curiosity was short lived, it was time to visit another brewery.

I have plenty to occupy my time in retirement. I'm a pretty serious woodworker, and have a pretty nice shop in my basement, so I will be making a lot of sawdust. My wife has list of honey do's that will likely keep me busy until 2040. I will also be spending more time at the range. My goal is to become proficient shooting with my left hand (I'm right handed).

good luck jack

thanks for all of your posts--hit that golf ball anyway you want

cvf

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    good luck jack

thanks for all of your posts--hit that golf ball anyway you want

cvf
    Thanks Charlie!
    I was talking about the gun range by the way.

Sorry to see ya go Jack. Your expert advice has been a great help to me and I am sure many, many others on this forum.
    If you get bored, I hope you log on to help out us newbes once in awhile. Have a wonderful retirement!