Default Re: Whole House Fan for homes with no attic now available!

Instead of linking to a self-promoting website gofundme account, you should be sponsoring one or more forums here.

Self-promotion is not desirable - contact Brian at the 'Contact Us' link to become a sponsor.

Also, you state that you invented rafter mounted whole house fans in or around 2003, if I recall what I read correctly. Correct me if I am wrong, but rafter mounted fans have been around for many decades, usually under the term of powered roof vents, which actually serve as whole house fans because they depressurize the attic and suck air into the attic and out the fan to the outdoors, with the air in the house being replaced by outside air.

Sounds to me like you just re-purposed powered attic ventilators by providing a duct directly down and into the interior of the house, sucking out even more interior air and sucking in even more outdoor air.

Those same types of fans have been used for roof mounted hood fans for a very long time ... nothing newly invented, just re-purposing existing equipment is what it sounds like.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry
    I appreciate your input. I know Brian and I know I can sponsor a forum.

You said "you state that you invented rafter mounted whole house fans in or around 2003"
    I did not say I invented rafter mounts in 2003. That was Dana at QuietCool - who is now flaunting the California Energy Commission with false advertising.

You then said "Correct me if I am wrong, but rafter mounted fans have been around for many decades, usually under the term of powered roof vents, which actually serve as whole house fans because they depressurize the attic and suck air into the attic and out the fan to the outdoors, with the air in the house being replaced by outside air."

And I do need to correct you - rafter mounted whole house fans were started by Dana in 2003, not many decades ago. They are nothing like roof vents. Roof vents or Attic or gable vents pull air out of the attic but the incoming air comes from eave inlets. Whole house fans pull hot air out of the home and cool air in open windows.

I did not repurpose anything, I invented the first rooftop mounted whole house fan for homes with NO attic. My rooftop will be in Tractor Supply stores this season starting in Temecula and Murrieta in Southern California.

If you want to add value to your life, you can be an affiliate for my fans and make some money by just telling everyone about them.

Thank you again, Jerry, for the comments.
    Kurt Shafer

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Shafer View Post
    You then said "Correct me if I am wrong, but rafter mounted fans have been around for many decades, usually under the term of powered roof vents, which actually serve as whole house fans because they depressurize the attic and suck air into the attic and out the fan to the outdoors, with the air in the house being replaced by outside air."
    I stand corrected where corrected.

I stand by my comments where they were correct - such as the above comment. That IS what powered roof fans do.

From your gofundme page:
    As a whole house fan expert I know motors and blades and air flow design. I have already designed a whole house fan that mounts in the roof and pulls over 8000 CFM. I also have designed a rafter mounted fan that is calculated to pull almost 7000 CFM.

If you join me in this funding plan you will help me perfect that design and make a working model for testing to the Home Ventilation Institute's HVI-916 test procedure that is required by the state of California's Energy Commission.

If you are thinking about a whole house fan for your own home - whether you own it or rent it - then you can benefit from my work. Yes, I have a design that renters can install without changing the house they rent. Put it in and take it with you when you move!

You will get a discount on your fan if you help me. Every dollar you send will get you $1.50 off the list price - which is going to be 28 cents per CFM - the going rate for these fans now. So if we meet the goal of 7000 CFM the list will be $1,960. List for the latest fans pulling 5,200 CFM is $1,450. (.278 per CFM). So if you send $500 you will be able to buy the fan for $750 less or $1210. If you send $1000 your price for the new fan will be just $410 more.

Your support will also benefit the millions of Americans who live in homes without attics. Until now they have been unable to get a whole house fan like their neighbors have. I recently invented the world's first high flow rooftop mounted whole house fan, the Thorwaldson ER-8000. The work I will be doing on this project is expected to raise that performance to close to 10,000 CFM! That flow will move all the air in a 3000 square foot home with 10 foot high ceilings (30,000 cubic feet) in 3 minutes!

So if you like the idea of owning the best whole house fan you can find, please join me. You will make me very happy to be able to improve lives all over the world. (Yes, Australia is a big market for these)
    See above: you stated that you have designed whole house fans in several places, and only once mentioned "without attics".

Then went on to describe your newest fan, but didn't say that it was for houses without attics.

Not interested in your venture, but others may be sucked in (pun for fans sucking air in is intended, hope you got the connection).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

ou then said "Correct me if I am wrong, but rafter mounted fans have been around for many decades, usually under the term of powered roof vents, which actually serve as whole house fans because they depressurize the attic and suck air into the attic and out the fan to the outdoors, with the air in the house being replaced by outside air."

Jerry. the error in that statement is "with the air in the house being replaced by outside air"
    roof fans like gable fans pull air out of the attic but do not pull air in the house so air in the house is not replaced by outside air. Only air in the attic is - but then, one could argue that attic air is "in the house". So let's drop this, OK??

I stand by my comments where they were correct - such as the above comment. That IS what powered roof fans do.

Not exactly a new idea in my experience.

We put one of these in a customer's house a couple years ago. https://www.solatube.com/home-ventilation-solutions
    In previous energy efficiency projects, we have closed/sealed up louvered openings with fans above - into attics (don't recall where it exhausted to) here due to heat losses in our cold winters. We then made sure they had adequate insulation, here in Central Oregon we go for R-49.

I haven't yet seen them used in cathedral-ceiling homes.

ou then said "Correct me if I am wrong, but rafter mounted fans have been around for many decades, usually under the term of powered roof vents, which actually serve as whole house fans because they depressurize the attic and suck air into the attic and out the fan to the outdoors, with the air in the house being replaced by outside air."

Jerry. the error in that statement is "with the air in the house being replaced by outside air"
    roof fans like gable fans pull air out of the attic but do not pull air in the house so air in the house is not replaced by outside air. Only air in the attic is - but then, one could argue that attic air is "in the house". So let's drop this, OK??

Tim Kaiser, Nitty Gritty Inspections, LLC
    Home and small commercial inspections for Central Oregon
    http://nittygrittyinspections.com/index.html

Kurt, quite incorrect.

ANY powered attic fan depressurizes the attic, that draws air from within the house up into, and through, the attic, exhausting that air from inside the house to the outdoors.

The next thing which happens is that the air which was drawn into the attic from the interior space HAS TO BE replaced - you do acknowledge that, right? Depressurize the attic, which depressurizes the interior space, which means that replacement air has to come in from SOMEPLACE. And that "someplace" is from outdoors.

If you are the "whole house fan expert" (from your gofundme page) you say you are, then you know that sucking air out of (depressurizing) something (the interior of the house in this case) means one of two things are going to happen: the 'something' (such as a paper bag) is going to collapse, or, the 'something' (such as a house which resists collapsing) must draw air in from outside of it (from outdoors in the case of the house).

What do whole house fans do?
    - a) depressurizes the interior of the house
    - b) which causes air from outdoors to be drawn into the house
    - c) that is the intent and that is how whole house fans work

What do powered attic exhaust fans do?
    - a) depressurizes the the attic
    - b) which causes air from the interior of the house to be drawn into the attic
    - c) which depressurizes the interior of the house
    - d) which causes air from outdoors to be drawn into the house
    - e) that is NOT the intent of powered attic exhaust fans, that just what happens when the attic is depressurized

e) above happens not by choice, but by the fact that older homes were not sealed (no intention to seal them) at top plate penetrations, and other openings from the inside of the house to inside of the walls which lead to the attic; even newer homes which are intended to be sealed (are supposed to be and required to be sealed) are not sealed tight, so the same effect still happens - if all the openings which are supposed to be sealed are actually fully and properly sealed, there will still be leakage into the attic, but it will be less than older, drafty houses.

Of course, though, how many new homes which are supposed to have all openings sealed fully, tightly, and properly are actually fully and tightly sealed? I venture to say that very few ... if any ... are fully and tightly sealed as they are supposed to be ... at least that is from my experience in construction and inspections during construction.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Tim,
    You wrote "Not exactly a new idea in my experience. We put one of these in a customer's house a couple years ago. https://www.solatube.com/home-ventilation-solutions
    In previous energy efficiency projects, we have closed/sealed up louvered openings with fans above - into attics (don't recall where it exhausted to) here due to heat losses in our cold winters. We then made sure they had adequate insulation, here in Central Oregon we go for R-49. I haven't yet seen them used in cathedral-ceiling homes."

The Solatube whole house fans are not rooftop whole house fans, they are the classic rafter mounted fans just like QuietCool. Solatube makes a fine whole house fan but their best fan is only 2134 CFM - they use two fans for higher air flow. The fans I sell pull 5,202 CFM with one fan.

And about the louvered openings you sealed - those are the whole house fan designs which have been around since before 1900. The air goes out the attic vents - usually under the eaves.

You have not seen rooftops before because they were not around. America needed the turbine rain hat that I got from Australia to get the best air flow. You can see the new design here -
    http://thorwaldsonwholehousefans.com...wholehousefan/

Thank you for the input!
    Kurt