Default Plants are smart

https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/smarty-plants

It starts out with home inspectors, and goes into what may be behind it.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Default Re: Plants are smart

40 views and no comments?

Not even a 'I've never heard of that happening to water service pipes, sewer pipes connecting to city sewer or septic tank, yes.'

Then the other parts of the experiments were quite interesting ... at least to me.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    40 views and no comments?

Not even a 'I've never heard of that happening to water service pipes, sewer pipes connecting to city sewer or septic tank, yes.'

Then the other parts of the experiments were quite interesting ... at least to me.
    I haven't had the time to listen and I couldn't find that episode on my podcast. It looks like it doesn't come out on my service until tonight. Normally, I put these things on my phone and then listen when I drive, work in the yard, whatever.

Can't speak for the other 39. I will comment when I can get it on my phone.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

I clicked the link, it leads to a page with a 36 minute audio clip.
    No time to listen right now. Maybe later or another day/time.

Dom.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    I clicked the link, it leads to a page with a 36 minute audio clip.
    No time to listen right now. Maybe later or another day/time.

Dom.
    Dom,

The first 5 minutes or so are tied to home inspectors and home inspections and something that they have found 'often' in New Jersey (but what is described could happen anywhere - but I've never heard of it before, not for the water service pipe).

I found the first part to be a "driveway moment" as I pulled into a 7-11 parking lot, then I just had to sit in the car and listen to the rest of it to get the full information. To me, the rest of it was interesting and worth listening to.

The rest of the audio is an interesting listen for science and plants, as in 'What? Plants can do that?' (Yeah, I already knew plants can do things from other things I've read, watched, and heard over the past so many years, and they keep finding out more things about what they can, and do, do. And that ain't no "doo-doo". )

Yeah, plants ain't as dumb as people think, which is likely why they have survived for so long.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I finally listened to it. For some reason, Radiolab did not automatically download that particular episode on my phone, so I had to do it manually (oh, the humanity).

I did find the show interesting, but I do question the researcher's apparent conclusions. I don't know if it is reasonable to anthropomorphize plants with qualities like memory and learning, but I'm only a home inspector.

One thing that can happen in science is a researcher might think of something on the order of "I wonder if plants have intelligence" and then craft experiments with that thought in mind, potentially resulting in an unreasonable conclusion. Some amazing discoveries have resulted from performing a series of experiments without a specific goal in mind which then achieves unexpected results. While it may be possible that plants can remember, it is also possible that the researcher unintentionally biased her experiments to achieve results that support her desires.

In addition, I found the program to be light on specifics. It gave no reference as to time involved (other than that one mention of 28 days for one specific portion of one experiment). It might be interesting to read a summary of the experiments, procedures and time involved, although I do get bored easily (I have not read the Mueller Report yet).

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    ... although I do get bored easily (I have not read the Mueller Report yet).
    You haven't?

The unredacted report is the only way to read it, don't bother with the redacted version - all the juicy stuff is taken out.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    You haven't?

The unredacted report is the only way to read it, don't bother with the redacted version - all the juicy stuff is taken out.
    Seriously? You don't really have the unredacted report...

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Seriously? You don't really have the unredacted report...
    I (redacted -------- redacted).

Who did that!

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com