Default LP gas water heater vent iissue

LP gas water heater in exterior compartment; 4' and 6' away from windows, 1' away from air condenser, 4' below soffit vent, dryer vent at lower right with crawl space vents to the right further. I guesting not correct; should the vent be extended above the roof line. Thanks, Mark

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: LP gas water heater vent iissue

Unless the listing, labeling, and installation instructions say otherwise, my recollection is that the type B gas vent needs to terminate a minimum of 2 feet above a wall/obstruction within 8 feet.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Is there actually a natural draft appliance in that enclosure?
    Is it rated for exterior installation when installed in an approved cabinet?
    Is the B-vent extending 5 feet above the draft hood?
    And yes, the 2/10 rule applies due to the adjacent wall being within the 8 feet measurement.

Dom.

Also, did you notice the concrete blocks under the condenser unit slab?

They are facing the wrong way and have no rated capacity with the cells horizontally like that - the face shells, webs, and ends are supposed to be vertical.

Fortunately, the risk of block failure is small under that condenser unit and its pad, but the risk is still there - I would include it in the report so you are advising your client that it needs to be corrected (not that it will likely ever be corrected, but at least you will be able to say "I put that in my report, you DID read the report and see that listed as a 'needs to be done item', right?"

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Also, did you notice the concrete blocks under the condenser unit slab?

They are facing the wrong way and have no rated capacity with the cells horizontally like that - the face shells, webs, and ends are supposed to be vertical.

Fortunately, the risk of block failure is small under that condenser unit and its pad, but the risk is still there - I would include it in the report so you are advising your client that it needs to be corrected (not that it will likely ever be corrected, but at least you will be able to say "I put that in my report, you DID read the report and see that listed as a 'needs to be done item', right?"
    Jerry, Dom thanks for help and no; I didn't notice the blocks. It will give the realtors more ammo for calling me nick picky (hate those two words).

Quote Originally Posted by mark petty View Post
    Jerry, Dom thanks for help and no; I didn't notice the blocks. It will give the realtors more ammo for calling me nick picky (hate those two words).
    And the ability to service the condenser!

- - - Updated - - -

And the ability to service the condenser!

Just from the first picture you can bet on two things; This house is going to have a very Long Report...And the fee for the inspection was not high enough....but we never know till we pull up on the job, do we. Too bad we can't charge by word and photo count on reports like the newspapers do when they publish their "Obituaries"....

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Morrison View Post
    ... like the newspapers do when they publish their "Obituaries"....
    That reminded me of something some of us used to say:

We didn't kill the deal, we are just the medical examiner determing the cause of death.

Sometimes the base cause was assisted suicide, other times it was outright murder..

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post

We didn't kill the deal, we are just the medical examiner determ[in]ing the cause of death.

Sometimes the base cause was assisted suicide, other times it was outright murder..

THIS is now part of my lexicon.

Thanks!

Egbert Jager
    Diamond Home Inspection
    http://www.diamondhomeinspection.ca

Cool Re: LP gas water heater vent iissue

For outdoor Aquahuts you can use a Field Controls Star-Kap as prescribed in the attachment if approved by your AHJ.
    Enjoy!

Attached Files Attached Files
    Keep the fire in the fireplace.