Question Felt or ShingleLayment-E?

I am used to seeing felt paper as underlayment on comp shingles. What is your opinion of this material?

Asphalt comp shingles will be going on.
    So Cal a mile or two from the beach. Mild climate.

php6tUYAGPM.jpg

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Default Re: Felt or ShingleLayment-E?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hannigan View Post
    I am used to seeing felt paper as underlayment on comp shingles. What is your opinion of this material?
    Hi Brian,

I have been seeing a variety of new products being used instead of old-fashioned felt paper. The roofers that I know believe these products to be superior to felt and have been migrating this way for a few years now.

The GripTite website for this product really paints a sunny picture, but the items that I notice is they claim to be tear-resistant, non-skid, and lightweight. All of which would be a huge benefit for a roofer.

I have no specific knowledge of this specific product or of how they will hold-up over the next 25-30 years, but the products that I have seen are tougher than felt and seem to be pretty good, even though they are more lightweight and seem more flimsy than 30# felt. But then again, the current felt is not the same product that we remember when we were young-uns.

I realize this isn't a definitive answer. If it was me, I think I would be fine with it. But, if you are uncomfortable, then you can demand regular felt from your roofer. We already know that will perform for the next 30 years.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

I used it on a small roof job and thought it was great.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

I was project manager of the roofing division for a couple years of a design/build firm and we were using the GAF products. This looks similar to GAF's Tiger Paw underlayment which we found to work well even over a weekend without shingles being installed yet, as long as the roofers use the proper fasteners (they hate the cap nails specified by the manufacturers, staples are much faster). It's certainly easier to walk on than felt, especially on steeper slopes. The jury's out on long term, but it's the shingles that are doing the main work, right? I'll bet you don't need ice and water shield at the edges like are required in Bend...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hannigan View Post

php6tUYAGPM.jpg

Tim Kaiser, Nitty Gritty Inspections, LLC
    Home and small commercial inspections for Central Oregon
    http://nittygrittyinspections.com/index.html

Morning, Brian.
    Being a licensed roofer, class B 1980, no more classes, #15 pound non perforated selvage/asphalt impregnated felt underlayment was the manufacturers recommended base selvage layer.

Code: 1507.2.4. Unless otherwise noted; required underlayment shall conform to ASTM D226, TYPE 1, ASTM D4869, Type 1 or ASTM D6757.

Recap: #15/lb Underlayment, 'non perforated type,' would be a minimum roof deck selvage layer for asphalt or fiberglass three tab or architectural shingles.

As for shingles. I recommend architectural/composition.
    Steer clear of three tab type.
    Payback. Aesthetics + Longevity - Overall Value!

No staples for underlayment fastening, please Brian
    Staples give you a false sense of footing security.

As well, some 50 pound underlayment have a thin mineral granular dusting during manufacturing. The granular is to prevent the bitumen roll from heat binding during field storage.

Selvage layer/Underlayment:
    Be it #15/lb, #30/lb or #50/lb underlayment. They will 'all' do the same thing, barrier layer, when installed according to the manufacturers installation instruction.

Flashing:
    Drip edge. Selvage atop at the bottom slope. Selvage under drip-edge at raked ends.
    Vallies, if applicable. Minimum galvanized sheet metal gauge and width. 26 gauge and 18 inch width if I am not mistaken.
    Apron, step and headwall flashing, 26 gauge.
    Plumbing vents. as described.

I have only seen degraded #15/lb felt on several occasions. All roof coverings, flat and sloped, were being replaced long after life expectancy rating.

Hope that helps buddy.

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”