Default appliance connector on exterior

This is an appliance connector, not CSST.

Are flexible appliance connectors approved for use on exterior like this? I did a few quick searches and I mostly come up with discussions on CSST

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: appliance connector on exterior

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    This is an appliance connector, not CSST.

Are flexible appliance connectors approved for use on exterior like this? I did a few quick searches and I mostly come up with discussions on CSST
    Hi John,

That's a really good question. I see them outdoors fairly regularly, but never really gave it a second thought.

I just did a little research on the Watts site and did find this one ANSI standard on a specification sheet of a particular gas appliance connector. I did not see it on all of the spec sheets that I looked at, so I am guessing that not all connectors are created equal. If you look at the left side of the brochure, below "Features"

http://media.wattswater.com/ES-D-GAC_Generators.pdf

CSA Group Certificate of Compliance to Product Standards
    ANSI Z21.75/CSA 6.27 ? Connectors for Outdoor Gas Appliancesand Manufactured Homes

Knowing all of the ANSI standards is not going to be within the scope of a home inspector and looking up every item in a home would take hours. So, I am not sure how to answer this one. Now that I know, I will probably make sure my report disclaims verification of ANSI certifications.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

This is being used as "piping" which flex connectors are not. They are "connectors". That means you must use approved gas "piping" to within 6 feet of gas utilization equipment: 6ft for ranges and dryers/ 3ft all else. Thus a 6 ft. "connector" can only be used to connect gas dryers and gas ranges-period. Some flex oonnectors are approved for outdoor use and some are not. See mfrs. tag. This LP cylinder is too close to that building opening. A leak could flood right in through that window. LP is heavier than air and hugs the ground. Another aspect is the derating for the flexible corrugations. You pay a heavy penalty for that flex.
    BTW, the ANSI on "Flexible Gas Appliance Connectors" is Z21.24. I have a copy but I can't share it.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    This is being used as "piping" which flex connectors are not.
    Bob,

How does that work with manufactured/mobile homes? Most of the time, the utility (natural gas) meters are connected to the home with some kind of flexible connector. The spec sheet that I posted references manufactured homes, but not others.

Is it simply that manufactured homes are under a different code? What I typically see with propane installations at site-built homes is soft copper between the tank and regulator.

Gas Connectors are not a substitute for gas piping.

Only one appliance connector of six feet or less in length can be used per appliance.
    Do not use an appliance connector to connect directly to an LP-gas tank.
    The gas appliance flex connector is not gas piping.

TSSA
    Gaseous Fuels
    Code Adoption Document Amendment

Before appliances are connected to a new piping and tubing system containing fittings
    or joints, a pressure test shall be applied using either air or an inert gas (e.g. nitrogen) in
    the following manner:
    (a) Appliance shut-off valves, meters, regulators and any component not rated for
    the test pressure being applied shall not be connected to the piping or tubing
    system under test.
    (b) The test pressure shall be measured by either a pressure gauge or equivalent
    device and, if a gauge is used, the minimum diameter shall be 3 in (75 mm) and
    the maximum range shall exceed the test pressure by at least 15% but not more
    than 300%. The pressure gauge or equivalent device shall be calibrated to read
    Background:
    Added sub-clause (c) to 6.18.3.2 to include another common location for shut-off valve

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

Gunnar, soft copper is approved as piping. Mobile homes are regulated by HUD and therefore not subject to the typical local gas codes. As for the LP tank location and piping to the second stage regulator, check with the LP supplier on your state LPG codes.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Gunnar, soft copper is approved as piping. Mobile homes are regulated by HUD and therefore not subject to the typical local gas codes. As for the LP tank location and piping to the second stage regulator, check with the LP supplier on your state LPG codes.
    Hi Bob,

Thank you for confirming.

So these connectors can only be used for mobile homes?

Quote Originally Posted by Caren James View Post
    So these connectors can only be used for mobile homes?
    Caren,

Not sure what you are asking.

1) Connectors may be used for gas valve to appliance connections indoors.

2) Some connectors appear to be approved to connect a manufactured/mobile home to the meter.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Caren,

Not sure what you are asking.

1) Connectors may be used for gas valve to appliance connections indoors.

2) Some connectors appear to be approved to connect a manufactured/mobile home to the meter.
    Alright. Got it. Thank for clarifying!