Default Sharing some photos

Inspection Referral

Default Re: Sharing some photos

ooh interesting, did you climb up those pull down stairs? I prefer to use my ladder, do not like those homeowner installed units.

Last edited by Elizabeth Chambers; 07-01-2019 at 10:08 PM.

Dang! Looks just like the pull down in my garage ceiling. Just the joints and bottom

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Quote Originally Posted by Gene South View Post
    Sharing some photos of attic stairs installed in new (10 months old) home. Notice the "shimming" on the back header board.IMG_1611.JPGIMG_1613.JPGIMG_1608.JPGIMG_1600.JPGIMG_1601.JPGIMG_1602.JPGIMG_1605.JPG
    Yikes! At least it looks like they did use 16d nails. I prefer and recommend 3 in. lag screws. I?ve climbed too many attic pull downs with less than a handful of sheetrock screws holding it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Laird View Post
    At least it looks like they did use 16d nails. I prefer and recommend 3 in. lag screws.
    "I prefer and recommend 3 in. lag screws."

However ... all pull down attic stairs I've seen specifically state to use "16d nails", and many also add in a key word "16d common nails".

Recommending otherwise puts you as the holder of liability when something happens ... not what I would want.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    "I prefer and recommend 3 in. lag screws."

However ... all pull down attic stairs I've seen specifically state to use "16d nails", and many also add in a key word "16d common nails".

Recommending otherwise puts you as the holder of liability when something happens ... not what I would want.
    Thank you Jerry. I understand completely what you're saying. I sure wouldn't recommend doing anything contrary to the manufacturer's specifications. That would definitely make me liable for any problems or injuries resulting from that recommendation. I still recommend the lag screws. From my own experience I believe they are more secure. But more importantly, they are suggested by the Werner company for their attic stairs. I've attached a page from their installation directions. They recommend up to 16 fasteners--16d nails or 3 inch lag screws. That may be a bit of overkill, but I guess they figure better safe than sorry!

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Laird
    But more importantly, they are suggested by the Werner company for their attic stairs. I've attached a page from their installation directions.
    And when the label on the stairs says that ... that is what should recommended ... and when the label says 16d common nails ...

All depends on what the label says .

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com