Default shower valve repair

Hi everyone. I'm helping a client determine repair options. The valve pictured is leaking including possibly behind the wall. It's an American Standard valve in a home built in 1973. I want to confirm that this valve can be repaired with new seals. Is this still be possible these days? Replacing the entire fixture would be much more work and she would like to avoid that for the time being.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: shower valve repair

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm helping a client determine repair options. The valve pictured is leaking including possibly behind the wall. It's an American Standard valve in a home built in 1973. I want to confirm that this valve can be repaired with new seals. Is this still be possible these days? Replacing the entire fixture would be much more work and she would like to avoid that for the time being.
    Hey there John Dirks Jr.

In my experience, that is typically either replacement of the packing or an o-ring at the nut or possibly replacement of the valve stem. However, I have occasionally opened valves up to find out that they are completely degraded and require replacement.

Probably should check the valve seat along with the washer. The washer retaining screw is almost always shot.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Thanks Gunner. Hopefully the plumber who comes out will have the mentality and a supply of parts to repair this thing short of entire replacement.

GENERALLY, the older valves are more readily repairable with easily obtainable seals and washers. They were made with more durable materials with long life and repairs in mind. Seems lots of what is available at the big box stores is throw away type construction.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Generally, very serviceable, the key is availability of correct parts.A leak from the valve stem as depicted can frequently be corrected with a generic repack.

There are plenty of valve stems (or other internal parts) for the older fixtures. Sooner or later, replacement will be more economically feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    There are plenty of valve stems (or other internal parts) for the older fixtures. Sooner or later, replacement will be more economically feasible.
    If this is a shower valve, it is most likely the separate hot water valve. Should be replaced with a mixing valve (anti-scalding type).

Ken Amelin
    Cape Cod's Best Inspection Services
    www.midcapehomeinspection.com

Cool Re: shower valve repair

John,
    Yes.. just a few years ago, I repaired the valves on a tub that had been "installed" in 1947. Was the home of my wife's parents. Amazingly, found all the supplies in a small town in Tennessee. Replaced O rings and seat gasket. And, of course, the screw.. Plus a little sanding to remove some corrosion.

BTW, I am enjoying retirement.. Just too dang hot and cramped in those attics.
    Y'all have a good life and stay safe.

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Amelin View Post
    If this is a shower valve, it is most likely the separate hot water valve. Should be replaced with a mixing valve (anti-scalding type).
    Even if it is a shower valve, you can repair one. And we don't know if the water distribution system has a tempering valve or thermostatic mixer installed somewhere else (commnly done around here, such as under the adjacent vanity or closet).