Default cordless drivers

Has anyone tried one of these and if so, how well does it work for removing and installing panel screws?

Black & Decker BDCS40G 4-Volt Max Gyro Screwdriver - Amazon.com

Inspection Referral

Default Re: cordless drivers

Hi John. I've used my little Ryobi with a lithium 4 volt battery for 6 years now, and it is still spinning screws. I wish I could find another for spare. The ratchet feature is worn now so it is loosing some torque. I get out a standard screwdriver for the really tough screws, but for 95% of them, 4 volts is good.
    It will seem slow if you've been using a 12 - 18 volt.
    On the up side, there is less chance of drilling insulation with a slow-spinning screw.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    Has anyone tried one of these and if so, how well does it work for removing and installing panel screws?
    Black & Decker BDCS40G 4-Volt Max Gyro Screwdriver - Amazon.com
    Hi John, I've been using the Skil version for a few years now. Looks like the B&D is essentially the same. Doesn't work on the tough screws and if you don't align the self-tapping type correctly, it won't drive them. On rare occasion, I pull out my Bosch impact driver, which will loosen pretty much any screw. The LED on the Skil is nicely placed to throw a shadow directly on the screw I'm trying to remove, so it's pretty useless. I suspect the B&D is similarly designed.
    I still miss my Yankee screwdriver, but the Skil works fine and when I lose it, I won't be as cranky as if I lost my nice Bosch.

SKIL 2354-01 iXO 4-Volt Max Lithium-Ion Palm-Sized Cordless Screwdriver - Amazon.com

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

I love this little guy but its getting worn out after several years of use.

I like the forward / reverse rocker trigger. I'm not as fond of the ones that have a separate switch to change direction.

P1030853.JPG

I used a Skill version of the one shown in the link for about 10 years before it gave out, then went to a Black & Decker version like the one in the link (except an older version, mine is now about 15 years old - I still use it now and then): Black & Decker Tools | 3.6V Cordless Rechargeable Screwdriver 9074CTN A

Three things I like about this are:
    - the long shape is easy to hold, carry, and store as it is about the same size (diameter) of a screwdriver handle
    - there is one button, press and slide to the right to install/tighten, press and slide to the left to remove/loosen ... one switch does it all
    - when the battery runs down or you just need a regular screwdriver ... the mechanism locks and you can use it as a regular screwdriver, works locked in either direction

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

That BD model does not appear to be Li. Hows the battery life?

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    That BD model does not appear to be Li. Hows the battery life?
    I went out to look at it and it is actually like this one: Black & Decker Tools | 3.6V 3 Position Rechargeable Screwdriver 9078

I could not find anything on it about the batteries, however, the batteries are wrapped up inside and look like Li batteries.

Never had a problem with battery life.

Added with edit: I checked the online manual ( http://servicenet.blackanddecker.com...57-00,9078.pdf ) and it says the batteries are nickel-cadmium.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 02-10-2014 at 05:15 PM.
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I upgraded my old driver/drills last year to Porter Cable 20V. To keep all the batteries the same (work shop and work vehicle). I've been trying to lighten my tool belt, so I keep seldom used tools in the car and go get them when I need them.

Last edited by Jack Feldmann; 02-11-2014 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    I upgraded my old driver/drills last year to Porter Cable 20V. To keep all the batteries the same (work shop and work vehicle). I've been trying to lighten my tool belt, so I keep seldom used tools in the car and go get them when I need them.
    Here's mine..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Here's mine..

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

festool cxs

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

It's been a while since I started this thread but I wanted to let you know what I settled on. It was the Black & Decker LI3100. I like it because the forward - reverse switch is on the top so there's never any interference when in use. It has a light that automatically comes on when you pull the trigger. You can set the forward - reverse switch in the middle if you want and get light only without motor running. It's compact, comfortable, enough power and good battery life. I've been using it for a few months now and I'm happy. I probably ought to buy another in case it gets dis-continued.

Black & Decker LI3100 Compact Lithium-Ion Driver with Cordless Rechargeable Screwdriver - Power Tool Combo Packs - Amazon.com

Thanks for the follow up John.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

I use the cheap harbor freight one for $7. Charge lasts about 20 days. If you lose, drop it or just plain breaks, you can get another. Has enough torque to do the job, even has an led!