Default Is lighting required in a pantry

OREP Insurance

Default Re: Is lighting required in a pantry

I didn't think "pantry" was defined in any code.

Perhaps "storage space" or closet.

I see many closets with no light fixture however pantry may be different Great question.

Chicagopropertyinspection.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    I didn't think "pantry" was defined in any code.

Perhaps "storage space" or closet.
    A pantry is a closet. The only difference is that it provides storage for food instead of clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Morris View Post
    Is lighting required in a 40"x40" pantry by building standards IRC 2012 ?
    I don't believe so but if you put it in the NEC addresses it under no keyless fixture in closet, so put a switch in if you do add lighting.

SECTION 402
    LIGHT

402.1 Habitable spaces.
    Every habitable space shall have at least one window of approved size facing directly to the outdoors or to a court. The minimum total glazed area for every habitable space shall be 8 percent of the floor area of such room. Wherever walls or other portions of a structure face a window of any room and such obstructions are located less than 3 feet (914 mm) from the window and extend to a level above that of the ceiling of the room, such window shall not be deemed to face directly to the outdoors nor to a court and shall not be included as contributing to the required minimum total window area for the room.

Exception: Where natural light for rooms or spaces without exterior glazing areas is provided through an adjoining room, the unobstructed opening to the adjoining room shall be at least 8 percent of the floor area of the interior room or space, but a minimum of 25 square feet (2.33 m2). The exterior glazing area shall be based on the total floor area being served.
    402.2 Common halls and stairways.
    Every common hall and stairway in residential occupancies, other than in one-and two-family dwellings, shall be lighted at all times with at least a 60-watt standard incandescent light bulb for each 200 square feet (19 m2) of floor area or equivalent illumination, provided that the spacing between lights shall not be greater than 30 feet (9144 mm). In other than residential occupancies, means of egress, including exterior means of egress, stairways shall be illuminated at all times the building space served by the means of egress is occupied with a minimum of 1 footcandle (11 lux) at floors, landings and treads.

402.3 Other spaces.
    All other spaces shall be provided with natural or artificial light sufficient to permit the maintenance of sanitary conditions, and the safe occupancy of the space and utilization of the appliances, equipment and fixtures.

www.1stproinspection.com

Certified Master Inspector
    Like Us On Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/1stproinspection/

About 15 years ago a new home buyer was furious with his contractor, and tried to make his life hell. He found the same (or a similar) section Roy posted above, and complained to the Registrar of Contractors, who made the builder put a light in a large pantry closet. The pantry was large enough that the kitchen lighting did not illuminate the whole interior, and I believe it had an outlet on a shelf that entered into it somehow. I don't remember all the details, but I know this is true. I was in the local ROC office asking him to speak at one of our classes and overheard his half of a phone conversation. He explained what was going on when he got off the phone.

btw- he did speak at our meeting, and I remember one thing he said: Arizona contractors have 3 guarantees on their concrete slabs: no one will steal them, they won't catch fire and burn, and they will crack.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. (Thomas Edison)

Quote Originally Posted by Randy West View Post
    ... concrete slabs: no one will steal them, they won't catch fire and burn, and they will crack.
    That goes nicely with what I (and many others say) about concrete - "concrete does two things: concrete gets hard; concrete cracks." I can now add "concrete doesn't catch on fire, and concrete slabs are hard to steal' ... but I need to work on the wording to make it roll out easily.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    That goes nicely with what I (and many others say) about concrete - "concrete does two things: concrete gets hard; concrete cracks." I can now add "concrete doesn't catch on fire, and concrete slabs are hard to steal' ... but I need to work on the wording to make it roll out easily.
    I always say- we only have 2 types of concrete here, cracked and not cracked yet. I sometimes use that for stucco or drywall too. And we have two types of low slope roofs- leaking and not leaking yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy West View Post
    I always say- we only have 2 types of concrete here, cracked and not cracked yet. I sometimes use that for stucco or drywall too. And we have two types of low slope roofs- leaking and not leaking yet.
    Sounds like how we describe houses in Florida for termites: there are two types of houses - house that have termites and houses that will have termites.

Some are even more optimistic (or would this be pessimistic): there are houses that have termites and houses that the termites just haven't been found yet.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Sounds like how we describe houses in Florida for termites: there are two types of houses - house that have termites and houses that will have termites.

Some are even more optimistic (or would this be pessimistic): there are houses that have termites and houses that the termites just haven't been found yet.

I lived in south Fla until I was 14. When I was about 10 we went to Key West and were on a tour of some type (we won't discuss how many decades ago that was). I still remember the guide saying "Hemingway lived in this home in the '30s. The only thing keeping it up today is the termites are all holding hands." I've plagiarized that a few times too.