Unhappy Inspector mauled by 3 dogs

I heard this from another inspector. Please keep Brian Bassett in your prayers.

"Brian Bassett TREC 6581 was attacked by 3 pit bulls and suffered horrendous injuries.

He was saved by the WDI inspector who happened to be there. Reach out to Brain because this injury appears as if it will likely be career ending."

Brian Bassett:
    brianbassett@tx.rr.com

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Default Re: Inspector mauled by 3 dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hannigan View Post
    ... this injury appears as if it will likely be career ending."
    I would expect that a lawsuit is, or will be shortly, in the works against the owner of the property and their insurance company.

Hopefully, the result of the lawsuit will effectively cover the ending of his career, all medical and rehabilitation costs, and future discomfort and the life changes which will happen as a result of the injuries caused by those dogs.

Best recovery wishes are being sent.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

This is an inspector near me and in several of the same associations and face book groups. This could be any one of us, be careful out there!
    There has been a gofundme account created. As you know, many times we are inspecting rental houses and people have little to no assets and little to no insurance and I'm sure there will be a delay before any of that begins to pay. I know I would be in deep trouble financially if something like this suddenly took away my income. I have disability insurance but there is a 30 day elimination period and a $5000 medical deductible before you get started. I'm sure any of us will be about $10 or $20,000 in the hole before you could blink. I plan on helping him and encourage everyone else to help also.
    https://www.gofundme.com/f/swhfw-sup...h-eH8oGF-6E6hI

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    As you know, many times we are inspecting rental houses and people have little to no assets and little to no insurance and I'm sure there will be a delay before any of that begins to pay.
    I'm just pointing out that the responsible party, rental house or owner occupied, is the owner of the house.

With a rental house, there are now two responsible parties, however, as you said, the tenant may well have limited assets, which puts it back on the owner.

And the owner is covered by their insurance company (to the limits of their insurance policy, and, potentially the owner's finances beyond the limits of the policy as things like that are not resolved 'stopping at the insurance policy' - the insurance is there to protect the owner's assets, but it does not take those assets 'off the table').

Everything else you said is well stated.

I'm just pointing out that ... over the long term ... there may well be a sufficient enough recovery for the forced ending of a career (along with medical and other costs).

Hopefully the GoFundMe account will address some of the immediate needs.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

My heart goes out to him and his family. How horrible!
    Should we carry pepper spray or bear spray to protect ourselves in a situation like that? I think, once a pitbull grabs you, its jaw locks and unless trained to a release command they wont let go, they have to be shot or pried off, is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Chambers View Post
    My heart goes out to him and his family. How horrible!
    Should we carry pepper spray or bear spray to protect ourselves in a situation like that? I think, once a pitbull grabs you, its jaw locks and unless trained to a release command they wont let go, they have to be shot or pried off, is that true?
    I don't think anything short of lethal force would have stopped those dogs.
    His injuries were unbelievable.
    I heard indirectly they were in a dog pen in the back yard and broke out and attacked him. He is lucky to be alive. I have been left alone at four houses with pit bulls over the years, but no more. I am done with that.

Bump
    Good response so far but just in case someone has not heard and wants to help.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Jim, thanks for posting the gofundme information to raise money to help Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Bump
    Good response so far but just in case someone has not heard and wants to help.
    - - - Updated - - -

Any and all donations are appreciated.

Any update on Brian's condition?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I would expect that a lawsuit is, or will be shortly, in the works against the owner of the property and their insurance company.

Hopefully, the result of the lawsuit will effectively cover the ending of his career, all medical and rehabilitation costs, and future discomfort and the life changes which will happen as a result of the injuries caused by those dogs.

Best recovery wishes are being sent.
    In all likelihood the limits on recovery will come up very short.
    lesson to be learned, please put the animals in a secured place prior to entering, it?s just not worth it.

I've been confronted with hostile dogs twice in twenty years. I was "lucky" and quick both times, but it is real risk in our business. Denver residents seem to love pit bulls and I see them all the time. But the two dogs that came at me were a huge German Shephard and a Rottweiler. Recently, a HI here was bit and needed stitches when an elderly dog snapped at him. The owners claimed he abused the dog, but he had a body cam....their claim evaporated and their insurance is paying.

I always slowly open doors into garages and rattle fence gates and cautiously step into yards. But it's tough to anticipate dogs tearing down a dog run. Tuesday, I had two aggressive mutts inside a shaky dog run. After this story, I will scrutinize the quality of these dog runs a little more critically.

A big insurance payout is paltry consolation for being maimed, so be careful.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    A big insurance payout is paltry consolation for being maimed, so be careful.
    Agreed, however, a big insurance payout can cover a lot of expenses, short term and long term, which will need to be covered.

I am not in any way suggesting that as a way to get an insurance payout.

I always went around the outside with a long rake handle with the end of a weeder epoxied into it where the rake end would have been.

On more the one occasion that stick came in handy for more than finding wood decay in fascia and siding - one day a dog charged at me and I lowered the stick just in time as the dog lunged and ... the dog swallowed the end of the stick.

Fortunately for the dog, I was holding the stick butt end up, so it got the butt end of it and went yelping away. If I had been holding the forked weeder end up ... it would have been seriously injured as the weeder end would have ripped the top of its mouth apart.

I had a friend HI who killed a dog with his Mag-lite, the dog lunged at him, he brought the Mag-lite down on the dog's head and the dog fell to the floor dead (this was inside the house).

HIs do need to be careful and watchful when inspecting, both inside and outside.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Best wishes, prayers, discussions on being careful are all good but what really helps someone when they're in dire financial straits due to an injury is to contribute money to their expenses. It can be appreciated more than you realize.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

I have experience with many animals, and various dog breeds, is not the breed but the humans that have mis treated/trained them to be aggressive, no less than any other human that commits evil. Had a pit once was a rescue and she was the sweetest thing never any aggression. No that being said, will treat any animal, along with any human, with how they behave... but just want to be clear where the blame belongs, I HATE people labeling a breed of dog due to some reacting to the way some dumb ass human treated or trained them to be.
    My heart goes out to Brian hope gets well soon
    And I hope the humans being irresponsible with these animals are dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Any update on Brian's condition?
    They are posting updates fairly frequently on the Go Fund Me page.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas