Default Knowing about appliance recalls

Do you guys report on appliances that have been recalled by the manufacturer? If so, how do yu know if a certain appliance has been recalled or not. Is there a website that you use to get that info?
    Even if it has been recalled, how do you find out if the repairs have already been completed making the appliance now safe to use? Is there a tag put on it or documentation of the completed repair or something?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Knowing about appliance recalls

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Chambers View Post
    Do you guys report on appliances that have been recalled by the manufacturer? If so, how do yu know if a certain appliance has been recalled or not. Is there a website that you use to get that info?
    Even if it has been recalled, how do you find out if the repairs have already been completed making the appliance now safe to use? Is there a tag put on it or documentation of the completed repair or something?
    Hi E,

I do not report on appliance recalls. It is disclaimed in the CREIA Standards of Practice and probably ASHIs as well. There are just too many recalls to count, and where do you stop? Do you just note those appliances that are potentially unsafe, those that had only major repairs, or those that required any repair? What about recalled or defective roofing materials, siding materials, windows, etc?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no convention as to documenting if an appliance (or other product) has been repaired. As a result, you might be reporting an alleged defect that has been corrected.

I believe the CPSC maintains a recall list. In my opinion, best bet is to mention the existence of the recall list in your report and recommend your clients follow-up.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

I use HomeBinder. I add it to every inspection for free. Clients and realtors are loving it.

Thank you for your input guys!

Thank you for your input guys!
    I use RecallChek but this is not free and they will try to sell your client other services, no complaints after a year of use.

I agree with Gunnar. If you are going to report on recalls you may want to be sure that your client understands what you're covering and what you're not. In 23 years I don't remember anyone complaining about my not reporting on recalls. I'm not a fan of ancillary services because they can distract you from the primary objective - home inspecting.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL