Default surge protector installation

Hey Guys

Had a surge protector installed on a house panel today and it was double tapped into a ac 30 amp breaker-which i know is a no-no--mounted near the bottom of panel--two questions--1] can you double tap a surge protector and in this picture it is connected to only one ac unit--2] so does that mean that only the ac unit is protected-- thanks for your help

CVF

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: surge protector installation

That looks like the type of SD breaker that allows two wires, one on each side of the terminal clip. If so, I wouldn't be concerned about it.

As for if it protects circuits other than the AC, I honestly don't know the answer to that one. I've always been a little skeptical about the whole house surge protector thing to begin with.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Surge suppressors in a panel are are typically tied in with a circuit breaker - per manufacturers instructions. Attached this way they are intended to be a "whole panel protection" surge suppressor, and that would be the case here as installed. But, they are intended to be on a separate breaker.

If the "big one" hits while the AC is being serviced while the breaker is off I guess the AC gets saved and everything else has the high pressure black smoke let out.

Anything you value that is plugged in needs to be on its' own protective device.

Anything you value that is plugged in needs to be on its' own protective device.

ETC, ETC, ETC

Occam's eraser: The philosophical principle that even the simplest solution is bound to have something wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kriegh View Post

ETC, ETC, ETC
    Or, even better, such as I have each of our computers plugged into their own 1500 watt UPS (which also provides surge protection), and the UPS is plugged into a surge protection outlet strip (to hopefully protect the UPS backup power systems).

Hopefully the least expensive item takes the major spike of a hit, leaving a lesser spike for the next component to take, which (hopefully) leaves the more expensive and important component in good condition.

At least that's the plan.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    Hey Guys

Had a surge protector installed on a house panel today and it was double tapped into a ac 30 amp breaker-which i know is a no-no--mounted near the bottom of panel--two questions--1] can you double tap a surge protector and in this picture it is connected to only one ac unit--2] so does that mean that only the ac unit is protected-- thanks for your help

CVF
    As noted, that breaker allows two wires, so double tapping is not an issue. This is the same result as the factory supplied whole house surge protector with my panel. So yes, this is intended and likely functioning as a whole house surge protector. That reminds me, I need to go check for my little green light in my panel that indicates I still have protection. They do get "used up." (technical term)

Last edited by Jim Luttrall; 10-13-2019 at 01:30 PM.
    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

The following is a notification from UL that Sycom surge protectors identified in release below may pose a fire hazard. The product does not comply with UL?s Safety Standards and is not authorized to bear the UL Mark for the United States or Canada. View the following articles:

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rees View Post
    The following is a notification from UL that Sycom surge protectors identified in release below may pose a fire hazard. The product does not comply with UL?s Safety Standards and is not authorized to bear the UL Mark for the United States or Canada. View the following articles:

Another reason I like this board. Helping out and looking out for one another!

Egbert Jager
    Diamond Home Inspection
    http://www.diamondhomeinspection.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Or, even better, such as I have each of our computers plugged into their own 1500 watt UPS (which also provides surge protection), and the UPS is plugged into a surge protection outlet strip (to hopefully protect the UPS backup power systems).

Hopefully the least expensive item takes the major spike of a hit, leaving a lesser spike for the next component to take, which (hopefully) leaves the more expensive and important component in good condition.

At least that's the plan.
    those so called surge protected power strips are useless, unless get something heavy duty to actually take a surge not going to be less than 50.00 over a hundred for a whole house. those strips just have a one use MOV.
    the pic is of what I use for device surge protection costs more but is 1000 percent better for all electronics not on UPS. Also a really good UPS is not going to need on the input side, has a lot of Surge built in, never had any I use get blown by surges (I repair them mostly charging circuits issues).
    And unless for light loads needing just a cheap supply, forget APC they are garbage
    I use to use power wave, had mine for almost 15 years still going just battery changes each are 1.5kva were bought by Eaton maybe, Triplite is another good one we use in smaller computer, network closets, Emerson was the other one thinking of.
    I have a Whole House protection box mounts to panel and wired to dedicated breaker, Smaller point use wired in surge on outside AC unit other outside stuff like at pool pump, Furnace/HVAC air handler, good single outlet plug ins behind fridge and stove (Gas, 120V for control) and the isobars in the pic for all the other house electronics, TV, stereos, etc. Triple Ground rod bonded system on house 4/0 cable, power bond CATV and old LAND lines sprinkler controller valve lines surge protection all tie to big ground plate on side of house single point, they way telco/CATV taps the wire from the meter is crap, should have a dedicated ground, clamp on ground rod my house power meter goes to center rod with a clamp, all three tie together 4/0 cable and feed the ground plate clamped separately to the ground rod. and where some use a water pipe ground bonding clamp as a ground rod clamp should not be doing that, had one break, loos ground connection, lighting hit a nearby tree, ran in on the neutral on service entrance and no ground, ran back on the CATV shield and fried everything, wont now!

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Clarke View Post
    those so called surge protected power strips are useless, unless get something heavy duty to actually take a surge not going to be less than 50.00 over a hundred for a whole house. those strips just have a one use MOV.
    They are useless in that they will fail ... and in failing, they will protect what is plugged into them, which is another "useless" surge strip (which will also "fail", protecting what is plugged into it (the UPS system, which is (supposedly) a pretty decent surge protector, and if the UPS fails ... they are cheap enough ($200 https://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...AaFw:17h4h7bfo ) that they can be replaced.

Those units have enough UPS backup power to be worth having and using, and I've never had to try to use the warranty "Backed by the manufacturer's $250,000 connected-equipment guarantee." (and my computers are definitely NOT in that major money category either).

The only cautious aspect for the plug strip surge protector is that I have heard of them exploding and/or catching on fire ... not a pleasant thought ... maybe I should just get rid of them and use those UPS as the one and only surge protection (have two of them, one for my wife's computer and one for my computers) ... nah ... that is what insurance is for ...

If one is too afraid of too many things ... then one would be afraid to go out in the daylight or cross the street ... in which case ... why bother to keep breathing?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

These products have good reviews: https://zerosurge.com/

I especially like that they make a surge protector that works with ungrounded outlets. I often see houses with ungrounded outlets and these are a great solution to protect electronics. Watch the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o4d...ature=youtu.be

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/