Default Tankless Install

I'm trying to determine how many things are wrong with this tankless heater garage install. BTW that outlet is not GFI protected. Go

P1300527.JPG

P1300524.JPG

P1300530.JPG

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Bob Ozbirn; 10-13-2019 at 10:37 AM.
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Tankless Install

1st photo - no sediment trap. Stop there.

That notched out and improperly repaired section of drywall looks to be on the wall to the house - that is the separation wall and needs to be properly finished (addressed).

(No need to "Go" further until you link to the manufacturer's installation instructions.)

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I can't tell for sure, but it looks like what could be the body of a 1/4 turn gas valve mostly hidden behind the CPVC ... in which case it may ... "may" ... not be accessible to turn the valve (I didn't add it to me initial list because I couldn't tell for sure about eithe from the photos).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

My picture quality is not all that good but just confirming that is CPVC. Also, pretty sure condensate from those needs to go into a neutralizer before going into drain. It could be on the other side of the wall???

Another interesting bit of plumbing ingenuity was connecting the relief valve discharge back into the cold water supply, making it a closed system ... aka a potential 'IED' ... fortunately it is not a large tank of stored energy.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Smile Re: Tankless Install

Honestly, doesn't look too bad to me.

1. is that exhaust pipe 636 type? First thing i would check. Sorry if i'm using different terminology (i'm Canadian, eh?).

2. Fire separation: Could assume the drywall is in progress considering it sounds like it's a recent reno. Just make a note for them to finish muddling the joints (also check door gaskets, self-closer and 20 min rating)

3. Those beige colored pipes are drain lines. One coming from a trap primer (not 100%- hard to see), the other from the condensation catch tray under the heater itself. Note the trap (correctly installed) at the line from the heater.

4. The trap primer should be on the cold line but it's not a safety hazard if they waste drips of hot water instead of cold. Not a big deal.

5. Gas line sediment trap - is it really required if the line runs upwards towards the unit and assuming there's one in place at the furnace (or down the line at the low spot)? I would double check that.

6. GFCI comments - is this a requirement in the States for garages? I haven't heard about that in Canada - if any fellow Canadians can correct me, i'd be happy to absorb the knowledge (but as far as i know, they're only required within 1.6m of the edge of a sink and at ground floor exterior receptacles - this doesn't include specialized areas such as sump pumps etc).

7. Drain neutralizer - could install later (if it's not on the other side of the wall). Again, not a big deal to add-on later

Don't get me wrong - ALL items need to be pointed out - but it's really nothing to get the clients worked up about and not a big deal to correct everything (other than if the exhaust pipe is the wrong type, then it could be a pain in the butt to follow and replace)

Cheers!

- Nik

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Another interesting bit of plumbing ingenuity was connecting the relief valve discharge back into the cold water supply, making it a closed system ... aka a potential 'IED' ... fortunately it is not a large tank of stored energy.
    Not sure that is what is there Jerry. I see the condensate drain line and the TPR disharge pipe tied together. Isn't the blue line the water supply?

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Tanaka View Post
    3. Those beige colored pipes are drain lines. One coming from a trap primer (not 100%- hard to see), the other from the condensation catch tray under the heater itself. Note the trap (correctly installed) at the line from the heater.
    I don't see a trap on the condensate line....
    [ATTACH]flat no trap[/ATTACH]

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Egbert Jager
    Diamond Home Inspection
    http://www.diamondhomeinspection.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Egbert Jager View Post
    Not sure that is what is there Jerry. I see the condensate drain line and the TPR disharge pipe tied together. Isn't the blue line the water supply?
    Egbert,

I believe you are correct.

Oops, me bad.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Egbert,

I believe you are correct.

Oops, me bad.
    Nope, you ain't bad; you're just human.

Egbert Jager
    Diamond Home Inspection
    http://www.diamondhomeinspection.ca

I don't see a trap on the condensate line....
    [ATTACH]flat no trap[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

Hard to tell from the photo.... but IF the line drops down, goes horizontal, then back up before going back into the wall (a 'J'), it's a trap (this is what it looked like to me at first). But on 2nd look, maybe it doesn't do that?

Why would a water heater or HE furnace need a trap on the condensate drain for the exhaust system? Note it is not an air handler for AC condensate. I picture it draining to the outside of the garage onto the ground on the other side of the wall.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Bob, that tank was not installed by anyone who can read directions. The TPR valve installation alone created a dangerous siuation.