Default Roof flashing missing-tucking shingles underneath brick

These builders are tucking the shingles underneath the brick and filling with mortar instead of using step flashing and counter flashing, I do not like this, I'm seeing daylight showing through into the attic where this has been installed

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Sam Morris; 10-17-2019 at 11:27 AM.
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Roof flashing missing-tucking shingles underneath brick

That's just crazy.

Getting the photo with the light shining through makes it obvious for those that might not understand. Nice!

Egbert Jager
    Diamond Home Inspection
    http://www.diamondhomeinspection.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Morris View Post
    These builders are tucking the shingles underneath the brick and filling with mortar instead of using step flashing and counter flashing, I do not like this, I'm seeing daylight showing through into the attic where this has been installed
    Totally wrong.
    http://www.gobrick.com
    http://www.gobrick.com/docs/default-...s.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Missing flashing aside (a biggie), it looks like the brick veneer is being supported by the sloping roof deck, and this has a pretty good slope to it. Working from memory, 4" of brick is considered a veneer that can be supported by wood framing (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) but its only sitting on roof sheathing, I think. Shouldn't there be blocking running truss to truss at, say 24"o.c., to carry the veneer load?
    And won't gravity tend to tug this all down-slope, causing a lateral shift over time, down at the window head?

If this is new construction, then your AHJ must be approving it. If I were you I would (and have) call the city inspector to ask them if they are approving something that is so obviously non compliant.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    If this is new construction, then your AHJ must be approving it.
    That is an incorrect presumption to make as AHJ inspectors do not look at "everything", just like home inspectors do not look at 'everything' - would you want everyone to make the presumption that you look at "everything" and thus, if you didn't write something up as "not right", that you: a) looked at it; b) approved it?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    That is an incorrect presumption to make as AHJ inspectors do not look at "everything", just like home inspectors do not look at 'everything' - would you want everyone to make the presumption that you look at "everything" and thus, if you didn't write something up as "not right", that you: a) looked at it; b) approved it?
    You seem to have missed the message in my post. But to address your post, it is a reasonable presumption that the AHJ would inspect the obvious and this surely meets the threshold of "obvious."
    The "message" in my post was to speak with the AHJ when you see something that
    a) (Apparently) Has been inspected and approved by the AHJ
    b) Clearly not compliant with code
    c) Likely to result in a health, safety, or great expense problem

It is certainly possible that the AHJ did a curbside inspection. But no matter how the AHJ inspected this roof, there is a major defect that does not require the AHJ to look at everything to see it. My assumption is that the builder can and will point to the signed off permit. I've told the story of a local city inspector around here who makes up his own code and that may be what is going on there in Tennessee. If so, for a HI, it is useful to know that.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    The "message" in my post was to speak with the AHJ when you see something that
    a) (Apparently) Has been inspected and approved by the AHJ
    b) Clearly not compliant with code
    c) Likely to result in a health, safety, or great expense problem
    My "message" as always been (at least for as long as I have been posting here) that ALL home inspectors should talk with lock AHJ as much as possible (the best way is to ask questions and let them state what you think, then ask them about what you saw - better results than doing so in an accusatory manner ... let them commit to agreeing with you first, then ask about what does not meet what THEY just said).

The above provides you with a connection with the AHJ and what they enforce, and that connection also lets them know that you are interested in learning how things are supposed to be done ("supposed to be done" "there").

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Sam, I think you are misinterpreting what you are looking at. The masonry load would not bear on the end of sheathing without mechanically damaging the sheathing. Looks like the masons tooled the mortar above the shingles.

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”