Default New Home - Drain Piping

I have three questions that I have not been able to find an answer for. I am probably being lazy here, but I'm tired and want to whine instead of doing research. So instead, I am turning to my colleagues for aid and guidance.

1st & 2nd pics: Sewage ejector pump at the exterior of the home. Power has been supplied by appliance cords. While I have seen ejector pumps supplied by appliance cords in a basement or foundation crawlspace, I have not seen this type of installation at the exterior prior to this. Would this be a code section or a manufacturer's instruction and listing issue?

3rd pic: The glue is dark. I have not seen dark glue used with PVC before. It's not as dark as the ABS glue. Does anyone know if there is a dark glue on the market?

4th pic: As you can see, PVC drain piping (not common around here - typically ABS). Instead of a p-trap, the plumber glued two 1/4 bends together. I am sure this is wrong, but can't find the specific code reference. Does anyone know the UPC section? It's probably obvious.

I realize I am asking to be spoon-fed today. Any specific help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Default Re: New Home - Drain Piping

Yes, they make gray PVC cement. (that photo looks gray to me, at least)
    Most all DWV in these parts is PVC, and most cement is either clear, light blue, and dark blue, but I've seen the gray stuff once in while. (Not that dark black ABS stuff)

https://www.oatey.com/2373316/Produc...ray-PVC-Cement

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Yes, they make gray PVC cement. (that photo looks gray to me, at least)
    Most all DWV in these parts is PVC, and most cement is either clear, light blue, and dark blue, but I've seen the gray stuff once in while. (Not that dark black ABS stuff)

https://www.oatey.com/2373316/Produc...ray-PVC-Cement

Excellent! Thanks Dom. That's one thing I can cross-off my list.

Photos 1 & 2 - Can't tell much, what is the rating on the flexible cord?

The flexible cord looks to be black and round, it *could* be SOOW, but it also might not be.

You need to find the rating/listing printed along it's length. That would be a code issue.

Was the cord added or did it come with the pump? That would code and manufacturer's installation instructions.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

With that special plug I would bet the cord came with the pump. The only issue I see is that it may not be rated for exterior use and/or should be protected from damage by weed whackers, etc.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Regarding the trap, I don't see anything 'not right with it. Plumbers make their own traps like that frequently and looks like it meets minimum 2" trap seal depth.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Photos 1 & 2 - Can't tell much, what is the rating on the flexible cord?
    The flexible cord looks to be black and round, it *could* be SOOW, but it also might not be.
    You need to find the rating/listing printed along it's length. That would be a code issue.
    Was the cord added or did it come with the pump? That would code and manufacturer's installation instructions.
    Jerry,

Pretty sure it came with the pump. There was a tag on the cord, but it didn't really have any information other than the standard user disclaimers. The pump was enclosed within the sump and I did not open the sump (ick).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    With that special plug I would bet the cord came with the pump. The only issue I see is that it may not be rated for exterior use and/or should be protected from damage by weed whackers, etc.
    Jim,

Yes. And sunlight, cord termites, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Regarding the trap, I don't see anything 'not right with it. Plumbers make their own traps like that frequently and looks like it meets minimum 2" trap seal depth.
    Jerry,

Thank you. So many things are specific to direction and use in plumbing (long sweeps, combos vs. santees, etc.) that I figured two 90s would not equal a p-trap.

Generally, when I see something that just doesn't look right, it usually isn't.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Jerry,

Pretty sure it came with the pump. There was a tag on the cord, but it didn't really have any information other than the standard user disclaimers. The pump was enclosed within the sump and I did not open the sump (ick).

Jim,

Yes. And sunlight, cord termites, etc.

Jerry,

Thank you. So many things are specific to direction and use in plumbing (long sweeps, combos vs. santees, etc.) that I figured two 90s would not equal a p-trap.

Generally, when I see something that just doesn't look right, it usually isn't.
    You may want to check the pump and basin. Liberty makes interior and exterior setups. With the note on the cord that you should not remove the cord and connect conduit, makes it look like an interior setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Chamness View Post
    You may want to check the pump and basin. Liberty makes interior and exterior setups. With the note on the cord that you should not remove the cord and connect conduit, makes it look like an interior setup.
    I never considered that. Thanks Kim.

Shouldn't the trap be provided with a cleanout fitting, I don't see one.

1st & 2nd pics: Sewage ejector pump at the exterior of the home. Power has been supplied by appliance cords. While I have seen ejector pumps supplied by appliance cords in a basement or foundation crawlspace, I have not seen this type of installation at the exterior prior to this. Would this be a code section or a manufacturer's instruction and listing issue?

That looks similar to the set up I see quite often when the drain field on a septic system is elevated above the level of the tank. The plug on one cord has a second tap so the plug for the alarm can be connected.

Robert Sole
    REM Inspections LLC
    www.REMinspections.com, Orlando, Oviedo

3rd pic: The glue is dark. I have not seen dark glue used with PVC before. It's not as dark as the ABS glue. Does anyone know if there is a dark glue on the market?
    It's not gray, but Christy's Red Hot Blue Glue is great for PVC and is widely sold.

Bob,

I have seen blue glue as well and know it to be fine. It was the grey that threw me.