Default Kitchen drain question

Does this kitchen drain look like it is correctly installed?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Kitchen drain question

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Roshak View Post
    Does this kitchen drain look like it is correctly installed?
    Richard,

I'm not feeling well and may not get everything.

It certainly would be better if the trap arm didn't take all of those turns, but I'm not sure it's wrong.

Trap seal depth is 2"-4". Sure looks like that trap seal exceeds 4"
    Doesn't look like there is an airgap on the dishwasher drain
    You will need to look up the maximum trap arm length in your code book, but that part looks ok to me. IRC and UPC are different and I don't know which code you are on or what diameter the trap arm is.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

This might be an easy fix for the trap seal depth: cut off the unwanted and excess tailpiece lengths and move the trap as high as the fittings allow.

Kitchen traps will be, should be, minimum 1-1/2", and that trap does not look like 1-1/4" (which is used for lavatory traps), so the P-trap itself is likely 1-1/2", with the PVC going into the wall likely 1-1/2" (but could be 2").

No high loop for the dishwasher drain hose (some places allow the high loop; others require an air gap; many modern dishwasher come with a high loop already attached to the cabinet (don't need a second high loop); and, depending on the wording of a code which requires an air gap and also refers to manufacturer's installation instructions (as most code do) ... the wording for the air gap may be offset simply by following manufacturer's installation instructions if there is already a high loop attached to the dishwasher. (Just trying to cover some of the various possibilities one may find.)

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

It is not the best looking job , but as a plumber it is correct as long as the dishwasher hose is routed correctly , or there is an airgap on top of the sink. I would have cut the dishwasher tail piece shorter and until it brought the trap up to eliminate the tail piece ahead of the trap arm. The dishwasher drain may be airgapped by a high loop over the top of the machine if designed for it.