Default Old Gas Shut-off for Appliances

Around these here parts....Over the last few years, I've had several HVAC techs & plumbers tell me that the old tang gas shut-offs that require a tool to operate must be replaced with hand operable shut-offs anytime a gas appliance is replaced. But recently, one of our AHJs told me that it was a good idea, but not required. I tried to find some mention of it in the IRC but cannot. G2420 covers locations of shut-offs and access, but I don't see any comment on whether the valve requires a tool or hand to operate it.
    Am I missing something?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Default Re: Old Gas Shut-off for Appliances

May be addressed in one of the standard referenced in G2420 for gas valves, but you would need the standards to find out.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    Around these here parts....Over the last few years, I've had several HVAC techs & plumbers tell me that the old tang gas shut-offs that require a tool to operate must be replaced with hand operable shut-offs anytime a gas appliance is replaced. But recently, one of our AHJs told me that it was a good idea, but not required. I tried to find some mention of it in the IRC but cannot. G2420 covers locations of shut-offs and access, but I don't see any comment on whether the valve requires a tool or hand to operate it.
    Am I missing something?
    As far as if replacing an appliance it would be good common sense at the least and the code is vague at best. I do know whenever we were at a customers house on a leak call we greased all of the old style valves , it helped prevent recalls and also made them a lot easier to operate. Today I don't believe the companies care about the customers that much since it is all time and money.

Depends on your local jurisdictions' requirement for accessibility. Some AHJ's require that it not require special tools or keys to operate a valve (differences usually applied for readily accessible vs. accessible , etc..).