Default HVAC Drain Pan Line Capped

The drain on the pans are capped rather than piped to drain out of the house. I am presuming the presence of an overflow alarm does not negate the need for the drain.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: HVAC Drain Pan Line Capped

Quote Originally Posted by David Lyons View Post
    I am presuming the presence of an overflow alarm does not negate the need for the drain.
    Is that switch in the auxiliary drain pan for an alarm, or does it shut the system down?

If it shuts the system down, that is one of the options for the auxiliary drain pan.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Is that switch in the auxiliary drain pan for an alarm, or does it shut the system down?

If it shuts the system down, that is one of the options for the auxiliary drain pan.
    Thank you.

I have seen float switches just sitting on the drain pans, and as long as the wiring is correct they should shut off the HVAC unit when it gets wet. So as long as the switch does its job there would be no need, and besides based on the height of the switch it may never be met if the drain line is lower.