Default Fireplace gas line leak, flex connection leak

Hello, I purchased a Condo about 45 days ago, and I was told by the gas company and a plumbing company that I have a gas leak in the wall of my condo and a leak in my gas flex connection on fireplace behind wall. Long story about how it was discovered. Gas line to fireplace is currently capped off. The plumber pulled a city permit, inspected all gas connections (furnace, water heater and fireplace), removed a six inch section of pipe on furnace? capped off leaking gas line, charged gas line with nitrogen for pressure test. (Gas company said pressure test had not been done for two years. (I've never had a gas fireplace so did not know this was a requirement.) The plumbing company sent me a bill for $850! I live in Colorado. I find this excessive and I feel I was overcharged. Can anyone tell me if I was extremely overcharged off by the plumbing company? I was figuring around $200-300.

Also, I would like to know approx. what it would cost to fix leak behind wall and flex connection in gas fireplace. I am assuming they are close by? But I do know fireplace insert would have to be pulled to repair.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Hello Bernadette Manhart,

I'm Brian Hannigan and I am the creator of InspectionNews

Welcome aboard. Enjoy your visit here at InspectionNews and if there is anything I can help you with just let me know.

InspectionNews has many Member Benefits available to you. Some save you time, others save you money and some do both!

Make sure you view the list of Member Benefits at: http://www.InspectionNews.net/home_i...MemberBenefits

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Default Re: Fireplace gas line leak, flex connection leak

Hello, I purchased a Condo about 45 days ago, and I was told by the gas company and a plumbing company that I have a gas leak in the wall of my condo and a leak in my gas flex connection on fireplace behind wall. Long story about how it was discovered. [/QUOTE]

There should not be a flex line in the wall. If this is a manufactured (zero-clearance) fireplace, then a flex line can be installed in the teeny compartment underneath, but not within a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernadette Manhart View Post
    Gas line to fireplace is currently capped off. The plumber pulled a city permit, inspected all gas connections (furnace, water heater and fireplace), removed a six inch section of pipe on furnace? capped off leaking gas line, charged gas line with nitrogen for pressure test. (Gas company said pressure test had not been done for two years. (I've never had a gas fireplace so did not know this was a requirement.)
    Other than a pressure-test when work is performed (to ensure the new work is leak-free), I have not heard of any requirement to regularly pressure-test gas piping in an existing home.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernadette Manhart View Post
    The plumbing company sent me a bill for $850! I live in Colorado. I find this excessive and I feel I was overcharged. Can anyone tell me if I was extremely overcharged off by the plumbing company? I was figuring around $200-300. Also, I would like to know approx. what it would cost to fix leak behind wall and flex connection in gas fireplace. I am assuming they are close by? But I do know fireplace insert would have to be pulled to repair.
    It could be that the leak in the wall was caused by the flex line.

Unfortunately, I am not going to be able to help you with pricing. California and Colorado prices are going to be different. The only suggestion that I have is to ask what the hourly rate is and compare it to the amount of time the plumber actually was there and the cost of the parts used. Around here, a licensed plumbing contractor is going to charge $150/hr - $200/hr with a 2-3 hour minimum.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Hello, I purchased a Condo about 45 days ago, and I was told by the gas company and a plumbing company that I have a gas leak in the wall of my condo and a leak in my gas flex connection on fireplace behind wall. Long story about how it was discovered.
    There should not be a flex line in the wall. If this is a manufactured (zero-clearance) fireplace, then a flex line can be installed in the teeny compartment underneath, but not within a wall.

Thank you, this gives me some insight and I am going to confront Plumbing company about high charges.

Other than a pressure-test when work is performed (to ensure the new work is leak-free), I have not heard of any requirement to regularly pressure-test gas piping in an existing home.

It could be that the leak in the wall was caused by the flex line.

Unfortunately, I am not going to be able to help you with pricing. California and Colorado prices are going to be different. The only suggestion that I have is to ask what the hourly rate is and compare it to the amount of time the plumber actually was there and the cost of the parts used. Around here, a licensed plumbing contractor is going to charge $150/hr - $200/hr with a 2-3 hour minimum.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    I'm thinking that the "flex line" is CSST, which is permitted in the wall.

I think Gunnar was taking "flex line" as indicating that it was an appliance connector, which is not permitted in the wall.

CSST, possibly not properly installed (such as too close to nailing surfaces without nail protection plates), could be anywhere in the wall, or could be more than one location where the pipe was punctured and is leaking.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I'm thinking that the "flex line" is CSST, which is permitted in the wall.

I think Gunnar was taking "flex line" as indicating that it was an appliance connector, which is not permitted in the wall.
    Fair enough. Jerry might be correct. In my area, the burner valve and assembly under a gas-fired fireplace will be connected to the household gas piping with a flexible gas appliance connector between the fireplace control valve and the standard 1/4 turn gas shutoff valve. The appliance connector is allowed to be contained in the limited space under the fireplace but not in a wall. As Jerry stated, CSST is a piping material, not an appliance connector, even though they do look similar.

Comparative images of yellow-wrapped CSST and appliance connector included.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Gunnar Alquist; 02-19-2020 at 09:54 AM.
    Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/