Default bleeding below certainteed siding

guys

Have not seen this before.2007 home with bleeding below siding--first photo is south facing and second is east facing protected from excess heat--anyone seen this before

thanks

cvf

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: bleeding below certainteed siding

I remember others saying something about having seen it and tracing it down to what was used for the flashing, I think it was something with the applied flashing tape not withstanding the temperatures and the sealing membrane softening/liquefying and running down. Evidence that gravity wins.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    guys

Have not seen this before.2007 home with bleeding below siding--first photo is south facing and second is east facing protected from excess heat--anyone seen this before
    CVF,

I am with Jerry on this. I seem to recall this occurring with some of the bitumen peel & stick window/door flashings. Might have been a defective material that started flowing when the weather warmed-up. I see it on occasion, and it's only at windows and doors.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

thanks guys

cvf

Sorry that I'm late to the party on this one, as I just saw it. It might not necessarily be heat related. It could also be a material compatibility issue. If the window flashing and and sealant/caulk aren't compatible (or even two different kinds of window flashing), then it could cause a chemical reaction and cause the black goo to melt and drip like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly Cwynar View Post
    Sorry that I'm late to the party on this one, as I just saw it. It might not necessarily be heat related. It could also be a material compatibility issue. If the window flashing and and sealant/caulk aren't compatible (or even two different kinds of window flashing), then it could cause a chemical reaction and cause the black goo to melt and drip like that.
    I guess that's what they referred to - might be the material defect that caused this during warm weather.