Thread: Rubber Chimney

Default Rubber Chimney

Has anyone ever seen this before ? Its a new chimney product called rubber membrane. Rubber will melt when heated, it is reasonable to say there is some form of damage to chimney underneath.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Rubber Chimney

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Morris View Post
    Its a new chimney product called rubber membrane.
    Curious where you got the it's a "new chimney product" from - product packaging, installation instructions, etc?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Curious where you got the it's a "new chimney product" from - product packaging, installation instructions, etc?
    Cheaper than a chimney repair

Cheaper than a chimney repair
    At least that wording does not indicate that it is a "new chimney product", which your previous wording did indicate.

Wording and what we say and mean, and what we say indicates we mean, matters.

I read it as you saying that it was a "new chimney product", not as you recognized a safety hazard (which you also did, but it was the "new chimney product" that threw the curve ball into it).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Smiley faces are helpful sometimes.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Cool Re: Rubber Chimney

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    LOL

Has anyone ever seen this before ? Its a new chimney product called rubber membrane. Rubber will melt when heated, it is reasonable to say there is some form of damage to chimney underneath.
    Hi, Sam. Hope this post finds you well.
    What was the chimney used for?
    Was there a fireplace?

That is a chimney chase, Sam. The chase has been sealed with an EPDM like material.
    Moreover, by the looks of it the homeowner chased what appears to be a masonry chimney to avoid repairing the masonry. The clay flue is an indication a masonry chimney is attached below.

What can the effects of doing that be? Return toxic harmful fumes into the residence.

Write it up hard. Refer to a licensed masonry contractor for further evaluation and required repairs.
    Avoid use if at all possible until the chimney has been evaluated.

A chimney is a structure manufactured from masonry or metal that isolates exhaust gases, smoke and embers produced by solid, liquid or gaseous fuel for boilers, stoves, furnaces or fireplaces.

Sorry for all the edits.

Last edited by ROBERT YOUNG; 03-06-2020 at 03:00 AM.
    Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Absolutely!

Clarifies meaning and intent.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thumbs down Chimney condom

From the flue tile, this appears to be a masonry chimney with a single 13"x13" flue tile that extends too far above the crown that is covered and housed by chase and chase cover of unknown substrate. The chimney appears to be too short. Chimneys are supposed to have a crown that slopes 10 degrees to a 2" overhang with a drip edge/ capillary break at least 1.5" from the face of the chimney. The Brick Industry Assn. recommends ALL coatings on masonry be 100% vapor permeable (perm rating >10) or never applied. This EPDM rubber will trap moisture and rot the insides. It also lacks a two piece flashing system that can slip. This will result in the rubber being ripped loose from the shingles. The flue tiles can extend 2-4" above the crown. They must have a resilient bond break to the crown. This is an interior chimney. It carries a 2" clearance to combustibles. Recommend remove condom and rebuild chimney as needed. Perform level II inspection.
    Epic fail.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Default Re: Chimney condom

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    From the flue tile, this appears to be a masonry chimney with a single 13"x13" flue tile that extends too far above the crown that is covered and housed by chase and chase cover of unknown substrate. The chimney appears to be too short. Chimneys are supposed to have a crown that slopes 10 degrees to a 2" overhang with a drip edge/ capillary break at least 1.5" from the face of the chimney. The Brick Industry Assn. recommends ALL coatings on masonry be 100% vapor permeable (perm rating >10) or never applied. This EPDM rubber will trap moisture and rot the insides. It also lacks a two piece flashing system that can slip. This will result in the rubber being ripped loose from the shingles. The flue tiles can extend 2-4" above the crown. They must have a resilient bond break to the crown. This is an interior chimney. It carries a 2" clearance to combustibles. Recommend remove condom and rebuild chimney as needed. Perform level II inspection.
    Epic fail.
    Morning, Bob. Hope this post finds you well.

Here's my take on it, the chimney chase. I added an illustration cut out by snipping the OP's pic, pasting a zoomed portion in the reporting software I use and adding verbial illustrations and markers below.
    chimney chase.JPG

To me, from here, in my office, many many miles away, it, the chimney chase appears to be a site manufactured fabrication utilizing a steel cabinet no longer in service.
    Maybe/could be/might be a metal HVAC plenum. I appear to have consensus from 3 separate sources. Me/Myself and I.

Why I say that is, the corner seams appear welded not wirst locked, as with fabricating roofing flashing with sheet metal. Wrist locked corners are fabricated by inserting one side into an open hem. Once in place the hem folded 90 degrees to complete the corner.

That 2" by 5" slot on the upper left hand side, near the top, resembles a AHU, Air Handler cabinet plenum opening for refrigerant tubes/lines. Thus the consensus. Me/myself and I.

The top of the chase has been covered with EPDM.
    A separate EPDM collar wraps the terra cotta flue.

PS: Look at the roof deck venting. Poor thought. Having roof deck vents on differing horizons will affect overall attic circulation.

They say; ingenuity is the mother of invention. As for this invention, longevity and safety left out of the process.
    Too bad.
    So sad.

Just my thoughts.
    Regards.
    Robert

Sorry for the edits but the degree symbol kept reverting to a question mark when posting. No work around but to spell out the intention for the moment.

Last edited by ROBERT YOUNG; 03-07-2020 at 03:35 AM.
    Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

Hi Robert, long time.

You could be right. It does have a bit of fabrication to it same as a RTU's curb adapter.

Main things are, it ain't right and needs a level II inspection with possibly a level 3 if it is not exposed in the attic to see how it was constructed. The uncured EPDM wrapped around the flue tile is an automatic fail to start.

Crazy stuff. Would love for the OP to submit more pics and info. including what's venting into this and how it is constructed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    Hi Robert, long time.

You could be right. It does have a bit of fabrication to it same as a RTU's curb adapter.

Main things are, it ain't right and needs a level II inspection with possibly a level 3 if it is not exposed in the attic to see how it was constructed. The uncured EPDM wrapped around the flue tile is an automatic fail to start.

Crazy stuff. Would love for the OP to submit more pics and info. including what's venting into this and how it is constructed.
    A Brick fireplace and closed off, I documented in the report it should not be used in its current state, referred to a licensed contractor to evaluate.DSCN9520.JPG DSCN9522.JPG

That's good Sam. FYI, that's a steelform fireplace and there's no recognized way to repair them in situ. We cut them out and replace with full masonry or an Ahren-Fire system.