Default Feeders not Inside conduit

This 100 amp AKA sub-panel feeder wiring is not inside conduit underneath the basement steps. Is this allowed or should I recommend conduit be installed ?DSCN1535.JPGDSCN1533.JPG

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Feeders not Inside conduit

Cannot see if that is even rated for use inside, but if it was it should be in a conduit. What type of cable is that?

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
    Cannot see if that is even rated for use inside, but if it was it should be in a conduit. What type of cable is that?
    I believe its THHN

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
    It looks kind of like the cables I saw FPL pull through their underground lateral conduits and was listed for use 'outside of the structure only' ... but the focus isn't such that I can read the labeling on the conductors.

If that is what it is, then not only in a races at, but as Jim said, would not even be suitable for use in that location.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

That looks like a cable the way the conductors are spiraling around each other. Individual conductors would not be that tight together.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Late to the party, but that is what we call URD. Not only can it not be run exposed like that, but it is technically not even allowed to be run within a dwelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    It looks kind of like the cables I saw FPL pull through their underground lateral conduits and was listed for use 'outside of the structure only' ... but the focus isn't such that I can read the labeling on the conductors.

If that is what it is, then not only in a races at, but as Jim said, would not even be suitable for use in that location.
    Petey nailed it as to the type of cable I was trying to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
    Late to the party, but that is what we call URD. Not only can it not be run exposed like that, but it is technically not even allowed to be run within a dwelling.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

It may be mobile home feeder cable, MHF, which is allowed to be direct buried and may be used in a structure if in a recognized conduit*, as-is though is a non-code compliant hack install. The reason I say it may be MHF, is the green EGC.

*I use the term "recognized conduit" because seen URD cable stuffed into ABS DWV pipe which is not listed in the NEC as a conduit, the worst part about that install is it was 240V 3 phase without a proper neutral, or ECG.

GUYS

Came across this today and was wondering if it is the same as the above feeder issue--second picture is the feed coming from service entry

cvf

- - - Updated - - -

it's a feeder to garage

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Charlie,

Different wiring altogether.

A couple of questions, though:

- there are two overhead feeders going to the detached building?

- Did you check for the minimum of 18" from the bottom of the drip loop above the roof to the roof? The older looking one looks like it might even be touching the roof, or very close to it.

- How high were those overhead drops above that front stoop?

- Is that a red conductor I see between the white and black conductors in that box? If so, there there is likely a ground which is not in the photo, which would make that a 4-wire feeder (2 hot, 1 neutral, 1 ground) which would be good.

- That old feeder looks like it may be 3-wire, which was allowed at one time with certain conditions which had to exist, and it looks like those conditions don't exist (no metallic path to that building was allowed, looks to be phone/cable/some type or wiring connecting to that building.

- Is that the older feeders which are exposed and capped with red wire nuts?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com