Default Is PB the only Black line?

I found this yesterday... 2005 home with a black service line. My understanding is that Polybutelene lines are susceptible to leakage and have been involved in litigation. Question is... is PB the only possibility and is my previous statement true?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Is PB the only Black line?

PB is typically gray (although I think they may have made service lines in blue - not sure). Black is typically ABS.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

This is a water service line, not waste. Is ABS used for service? I've never seen that?

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Reis Pearson View Post
    This is a water service line, not waste. Is ABS used for service? I've never seen that?
    More information ... albeit for DWV usage.

ABS Products

Kevin Barre Guest

My guess (and it's only that) is that the black service line is a form of polyethylene.

And, yes, they did make blue polybutylene service lines. They were used pretty extensively around here. The rocks tend to cut 'em up pretty badly, leading to leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Reis Pearson View Post
    2006 IRC, Table P2904.4, Water Service Pipe, does list ABS as suitable for use as "water service pipe", however, Table P2904.5, Water Distribution Pipe, does NOT list ABS as being allowed for "water distribution pipe".

Also: (bold and underlining are mine)
    - P2904.4 Water service pipe. Water service pipe shall conform to NSF 61 and shall conform to one of the standards listed in Table P2904.4. Water service pipe or tubing, installed underground and outside of the structure, shall have a minimum working pressure rating of 160 pounds per square inch at 73°F (1103 kPa at 23°C). Where the water pressure exceeds 160 pounds per square inch (1103 kPa), piping material shall have a rated working pressure equal to or greater than the highest available pressure. Water service piping materials not third-party certified for water distribution shall terminate at or before the full open valve located at the entrance to the structure. Ductile iron water service piping shall be cement mortar lined in accordance with AWWA C104.

I.e., if the water service pipe is not also approved for water distribution pipe, it must terminate 'outside the structure' - and, if that is ABS in the photo, it does not.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 01-26-2008 at 12:15 PM.
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Seems to me unusual to find PB or polyethylene in a 2005 home. Is this a mobile?

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Lou Collier Guest

All of the black water service entrance pipes around here are made of polyethylene. It is still being used on new houses.

The polybutylene water service entrance pipes are blue and the polybutylene water supply pipes in houses are gray.

ABS has never been used for water supply pipes in my area. It is only used for drain lines.

Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

Folks, That's pipe insulation around an unknown pipe.

JLMathis

Thanks JLMathis... essentially what I wrote up. I expect (hope) that it's PE and no it wasn't a mobile... S/F SBL. Thanks again for all the input!

Jeffrey,

If you look above the white coupling, you will see that the pipe insulation is pulled away and the black tubing/pipe can be seen.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey L. Mathis View Post
    Folks, That's pipe insulation around an unknown pipe.

JLMathis

Jeffery,

This BLACK PIPE (see attached photo).

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com