Default Post Tension cable tail length

Hello everyone, just want to get your help, Is there anything on the code that says how much of a tail end of the post tension should be after being stressed and cut? if you could point it out i would really appreciate it.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Post Tension cable tail length

Quote Originally Posted by RYAN RYAN View Post
    ... how much of a tail end of the post tension should be after being stressed and cut?
    You should not be able to see the cable.

Once cut off, the recess the post tension cable active end (the end which is tensioned and cut off) needs to be sealed with concrete. You should not even see a 'bullseye' rust mark where the end of the cable is.

Regarding code, all ... ALL ... reinforcing steel (and post tension cable is 'reinforcing steel') has minimum concrete cover, basically a minimum cover of: 3" for direct earth contact; 1-1/2" for exterior exposure (with greater cover if exposed to higher levels of corrosion ... such as exposed to salt ocean spray, but who pays attention to that until after they are rebuilding spalling concrete); 3/4" for interior protected locations (subject to greater coverage for exposed to higher corrosion environments, such as chemical storage rooms, chemical plants, etc).

I can't find my Post Tension Institute stuff (likely accidentally trashed it when reducing my collection of stuff) - I was going to look it up in case it was different (my recollection is that there was a difference, greater coverage as they want to seal out all moisture and contaminates).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Default Re: Post Tension cable tail length

Barry,

I'll let you guys who have that stuff carry on.

I haven't seen my ACI 318 for so long that it's totally out of date by now.

I'll just go from memory (which is usually close, but sometimes not exact on the money).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com