Exclamation Two Main Breakers

This house has a 225 amp main in a cabinet next to the meter box and another in the distribution panel. I can't seem to find a code reference for this issue. Help?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Two Main Breakers

Quote Originally Posted by David Lyons View Post
    This house has a 225 amp main in a cabinet next to the meter box ...
    That would be the "service equipment panel and where the main service disconnect is located.

... and another in the distribution panel.
    That would be best described as a 'panel main' as it is a 'main' disconnect for the panel it is in.

I can't seem to find a code reference for this issue.
    That's probably because there is no "issue" with having a panel main.

I couldn't tell from the photos, but if the "service equipment panel" is properly wired as required and allowed for "service equipment", then that would be okay.

And if the "not service equipment" panel is properly wired as required and allowed for panels downstream from the "service equipment", then that would be okay too.

Look at the service equipment panel for service equipment wiring, and being fed by service entrance conductors.

Look at the downstream panel as being fed by feeder conductors, and those wiring practices.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    That would be the "service equipment panel and where the main service disconnect is located.

That would be best described as a 'panel main' as it is a 'main' disconnect for the panel it is in.

That's probably because there is no "issue" with having a panel main.

I couldn't tell from the photos, but if the "service equipment panel" is properly wired as required and allowed for "service equipment", then that would be okay.

And if the "not service equipment" panel is properly wired as required and allowed for panels downstream from the "service equipment", then that would be okay too.

Look at the service equipment panel for service equipment wiring, and being fed by service entrance conductors.

Look at the downstream panel as being fed by feeder conductors, and those wiring practices.
    Thank you.

The thing to look for (a common mistake) is that the downstream panel is not fed with service entrance conductors.

When you find that, it is likely an indication that the downstream panel actually was the service equipment panel, with a new service equipment panel added upstream of it (such as by the meter) and that the person who did the work didn't know what they were doing.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    The thing to look for (a common mistake) is that the downstream panel is not fed with service entrance conductors.

When you find that, it is likely an indication that the downstream panel actually was the service equipment panel, with a new service equipment panel added upstream of it (such as by the meter) and that the person who did the work didn't know what they were doing.
    Thank you. I have often found the main service disconnect in a panel next to the meter box, or in the distribution panel, but this is the first I've found both in the same service.