Default Open flue on this Janitrol Furnace

Need help determining the age of this furnace Surface Combustion Corp. (home was built in 1939) The flame on the burners didn't look that good either.The flue was open on one end, never seen this before DSCN2846.JPG

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Sam Morris; 03-24-2020 at 01:56 PM.
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Open flue on this Janitrol Furnace

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Morris View Post
    Need help determining the age of this furnace Surface Combustion Corp. (home was built in 1939) The flame on the burners didn't look that good either.The flue was open on one end, never seen this before DSCN2846.JPG
    Well Sam,

That gas vent pipe connection ain't right. You took that pic straight-on (horizontal), right? Rather than looking up into the draft hood? Looking at pics #4 & #5, it looks like #4 is essentially a close-up of #5. That setup will just spill combustion exhaust gases into the basement.

I can't say for sure about the age. If Janitrol follows the same pattern that some other companies do, the first number would be the month and the next two would be the year. So, I would guess 1954, but not sure. Someone may have a furnace age book. It looks like it would be from the '50s though.

Asbestos-wrapped ducting? Or no insulation at all?

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Default Re: Open flue on this Janitrol Furnace

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Well Sam,

That gas vent pipe connection ain't right. You took that pic straight-on (horizontal), right? Rather than looking up into the draft hood? Looking at pics #4 & #5, it looks like #4 is essentially a close-up of #5. That setup will just spill combustion exhaust gases into the basement.

I can't say for sure about the age. If Janitrol follows the same pattern that some other companies do, the first number would be the month and the next two would be the year. So, I would guess 1954, but not sure. Someone may have a furnace age book. It looks like it would be from the '50s though.

Asbestos-wrapped ducting? Or no insulation at all?
    yes , you are correct, that's a straight on picture, that's exactly what I thought about the flue. Yes I got the asbestos