Default Bearing and support of beam

Question for the group. I have been under the impression that beams be supported with full bearing from top to the foundation. Now I cannot find the code reference. I have a tripled beam in the attic resting on top of the exterior wall which in one case has only one stud under the double top plate and in another place three studs that are several inches apart. I need the rule. I assume there should be a triple stud directly under the triple header but seems I remember an allowance like within 1 1/2" but nothing I see adequately addresses the issue. Any help out there?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Default Re: Bearing and support of beam

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Question for the group. I have been under the impression that beams be supported with full bearing from top to the foundation. Now I cannot find the code reference. I have a tripled beam in the attic resting on top of the exterior wall which in one case has only one stud under the double top plate and in another place three studs that are several inches apart. I need the rule. I assume there should be a triple stud directly under the triple header but seems I remember an allowance like within 1 1/2" but nothing I see adequately addresses the issue. Any help out there?
    Jim,

Two apologies. First, sorry about the late response. Second, I can't find it either. I remember posts needed to match the dimension of the beam it supported, but I cannot find that requirement. I did find post requirements in the IRC decks section. R507.4 and R507.5

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Is R502.6 what you are looking for?

"the ends of each" refers to the full width of the member, with "shall not have less than ... bearing" refers to the length of "the ends" bearing on the supports.

Also Figure 602.3(1) where it shows a cripple foundation wall with double top plate and offset studs (double top plate allows for offsetting studs from load above).

Also 602.3.3.

Looking on my phone with limited signal, so it's not working very good.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    I have a tripled beam in the attic resting on top of the exterior wall which in one case has only one stud under the double top plate and in another place three studs that are several inches apart.
    Re: the code references I provided - apply to "each" member bearing above.

Triple beam needs three studs below.

The spaced out studs would need to be secured together, should be able to put blocking/spacer between, but trying to secure them together after the fact likely means through bolts.

Your first code reference is: what do the approved drawings show?
    - R106.4 Amended construction documents.
    - - Work shall be installed in accordance with the approved construction documents and any changes made during construction that are not in compliance with the approved construction documents shall be resubmitted for approval ...

"shall be resubmitted for approval" is the key part.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The term is Load path:

IRC R301.1 Application. Buildings and structures, and parts thereof, shall be constructed to safely support all loads, including dead loads, live loads, roof loads, flood loads, snow loads, wind loads and seismic loads as prescribed by this code. The construction of buildings and structures in accordance
    with the provisions of this code shall result in a system that provides a complete load path that meets the requirements for the transfer of loads from their point of origin through the load-resisting elements to the foundation.

Randy Mayo, P.E.
    Residential Engineering & Inspection Services
    http://www.rlmengineers.com