Default GFCI Receptacles and Breakers

Ran into something I have not seen before when it comes to GFCI protected receptacles. There was a GFCI receptacle in the garage that was connected to a couple of other outlets. When I tested the GFCI it trips from all receptacles. Come to find out later, when I was going through the electrical panel, the GFCI receptacle in the garage was connected to a GFCI breaker. The breaker never trips when testing the receptacles, but did trip when I pressed the test button. My question is can you have a GFCI protected receptacle connected to a GFCI breaker. Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: GFCI Receptacles and Breakers

Yes, you can. It is redundant, and not at all necessary, but it is not deficient in any way.

As long as everything trips via the test button you are fine. A GFI will not usually trip without the presence of a grounding conductor so a plug-in tester is not always an accurate test in older homes.

Default Re: GFCI Receptacles and Breakers

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
    Yes, you can. It is redundant, and not at all necessary, but it is not deficient in any way.

As long as everything trips via the test button you are fine. A GFI will not usually trip without the presence of a grounding conductor so a plug-in tester is not always an accurate test in older homes.
    Thanks Speedy. Good to know.