Default Steel beam foundation pocket/cracked

We were in the process of doing a quick visual check of our newly built home, and noticed that our foundation is cracked (where the steel beams/pockets are)

I can only imagine the builder has done this because the steel beam was too long so they cracked the side of the poured foundation to make it fit. Question, how concerned should we be, and is this standard whenever a steel beam does not fit?

https://imgur.com/a/6iYMJqd

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Steel beam foundation pocket/cracked

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Olivier View Post
    We were in the process of doing a quick visual check of our newly built home, and noticed that our foundation is cracked (where the steel beams/pockets are)

I can only imagine the builder has done this because the steel beam was too long so they cracked the side of the poured foundation to make it fit. Question, how concerned should we be, and is this standard whenever a steel beam does not fit?

https://imgur.com/a/6iYMJqd
    Hi Henry,

Uhhh... No, it isn't standard practice to break the foundation when a girder doesn't fit. Now, it may be that since most of the force on this foundation will likely be downward and I don't see any other damage in this image. However, that is a pretty significant amount of spalling, particularly on a new home. I would get a structural engineer out there (preferably the one who did the original work on the home) to have him/her examine it and either sign-off on the damage or design a repair.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Looks like it was a little too long ... and someone said 'Nah, it'll fit, watch this - see no problem, it fit easier than I thought it would.' (Because they never went outside to see that they had just knocked a big hole out of the foundation wall.)

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The builder is proposing to fill the hole with concrete however I dont think this is the best course of action without consulting a SE and determing if this is the proper repair method

The structural engineer should also address the patch with regard to moisture intrusion into the patch/wall concrete and how moisture seepage to the steel will effect the steel long term.

No need to create a condition which will cause the end of the steel beam to rust and spall that patch back out at a future date.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com