Default Crawl space drain pipe purpose

Found this 4 inch drain pipe penetrating a foundation wall in a crawl space. There is a puddle of water a few inches deep close to the pipe. No smell to the water. Other than that, the basement is dry and we just had 10 inches of rain in the last 4 days. The lot is flat so water does not drain well. House was built in 2012. Pipe is buried in front yard and runs to the street. House uses municipal sewage system. House is in an area with no sidewalks or water runoff drains at the street. Any idea what its purpose is? Is it to let high water in the basement out or is it the source of the puddle in the crawl space?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Crawl space drain pipe purpose

Apologize for putting this in the electrical forum.

Most corrugated drainage pipe is used to move water from point "A" to "B".
    Maybe it's part of a perimeter drainage system that was roughed-in or not completed.

Could be a drain from the crawlspace out to a dry well or French drain system for a known (at time of construction) water in the crawlspace problem?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The puddle is below the drain pipe, so it does look like any water in the drain pipe pours in, not out.
    I would look for a high water mark and take a ton of pictures. Then call it for repair, standing water in the crawl.
    May be downspouts connected to that.I'd poke a stick in there, see if it's a Tee.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

I was making the presumption that, in 2012, no one would "intentionally" drain water "into" a crawlspace ... but after zooming in on the photo I see where water stands in the bottom of the drain pipe, making it less likely for the drain to have been installed 'to drain standing water out of the crawlspace.

I agree that it likely drains water into the crawlspace.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com