Default Crack over the garage

This crack was noted above the garage door. The house was built in 2003. I also noticed a crack outside one of the bedroom doors. Any thoughts on what it could relate to and if there is a concern about foundation issues.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Crack over the garage

Any thoughts on the above. Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Henderson View Post
    This crack was noted above the garage door. The house was built in 2003. I also noticed a crack outside one of the bedroom doors. Any thoughts on what it could relate to and if there is a concern about foundation issues.
    Bill,

The probable reason for the dearth of answers is the limited amount of information. Speculating over a crack without knowing much else about the home is going to be pretty random. During a home inspection, we take in a lot of information about the home before we can attempt to derive any answer.

Personally, the first thing I would look for with the crack in the brick is whether or not the header over the vehicle door is deflecting/sagging. Brick weighs a lot and if the header was not adequately sized to carry the weight, it could result in a crack in the (presumably) brick veneer.

Another possibility might be the type of soil and whether the foundation was properly designed. If I remember correctly, Georgia is known for its clay soils. Clay is dynamic and will generally swell when wet and shrink when dry. This can result in the foundation moving and cracking. That would require looking at the foundation under that wall for signs of movement. If this is built on clay, the engineer should have designed the foundation with that in mind. If this isn't built on clay, then the above explanation is not likely.

Yet another possibility is water penetration behind the brick and into the wood framing. Wood will swell when wet, which can result in cracks. If water is getting into the wall, that could be a big issue.

Or, it could just be cracks in the brick mortar. Wood framing is dynamic and as it shrinks/swells due to moisture content, cracks often result.

These are just a few possibilities. Difficult to tell from a single pic of two different areas and without knowing much else except for the age of the home and there are two cracks. If this is a real concern for you, I suggest you find a structural engineer who is familiar with this type of analysis (basically forensic) for an opinion.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Thank you Gunnar. There is a quasi lake/retention pond on the other side of the street behind the houses.

Understand that you are not from Atlanta, but do you know of any good home inspectors/ structural engineers in the Atlanta area.

Without a picture, we are guessing about the crack. Maybe it's an old stucco house with an add-on.
    Age of the house, foundation type, size of the crack, age of the crack, drainage conditions, location, soil type, roof structure, all relevant to why there is a crack.

Brick veneer on a wood frame? Double garage door? Look at the header.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Henderson View Post
    Thank you Gunnar. There is a quasi lake/retention pond on the other side of the street behind the houses.

Understand that you are not from Atlanta, but do you know of any good home inspectors/ structural engineers in the Atlanta area.
    Hi Bill,

I am sorry. I have probably communicated with Atlanta Area inspectors in the past through this board, but cannot recall any right now.

The only two suggestions that I have at this time would be to get a referral from someone that you know who has recently purchased a home (preferably someone who was satisfied with their inspector) or to go to ASHI.com and find one through their "Find a Home Inspector" search. I took a quick look and there is at least one that is listed as a PE (professional engineer). It would be a good idea to get some kind of credential to verify that though.

I hope this helps.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Thank you Gunnar

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Hi Bill,

I am sorry. I have probably communicated with Atlanta Area inspectors in the past through this board, but cannot recall any right now.

The only two suggestions that I have at this time would be to get a referral from someone that you know who has recently purchased a home (preferably someone who was satisfied with their inspector) or to go to ASHI.com and find one through their "Find a Home Inspector" search. I took a quick look and there is at least one that is listed as a PE (professional engineer). It would be a good idea to get some kind of credential to verify that though.

I hope this helps.