Default Who is using a drone for roof inspections ?

Inspection Referral

Default Re: Who is using a drone for roof inspections ?

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Smith View Post
    Who is using a drone for roof inspections ? How long have you been using it ? What brand and model of drone are you using ?
    Thank you.
    I haven't made the jump, primarily because to do it legally, it requires some amount of education and passing the FAA Part 107 test (plus periodic re-certification). In my opinion, the only way to really evaluate a roof is to get on it and see what is going on. I realize that some roofs cannot be accessed (too steep, too high, fragile), but I am just not ready to buy yet another toy at this point.

Of course, it would be safer than actually walking a roof.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

A paint pole with a camera tripod works really well for roof pics where a ladder won't get you there.
    I've reached the pole out of a 4th floor window and gotten flat roof pics of puddles, skylights, etc when access was denied by the condo bosses.

Allow lots of extra time for your inspection if you include drone pics. Sometimes it could be the only way to get a peak down a chimney. But I like having control of the camera on a pole and it is quick and easy, using the 10 second timer.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    But I like having control of the camera on a pole and it is quick and easy, using the 10 second timer.
    Plus no FAA rules to apply to the pole.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I am getting ready to buy the new "Mavic Mini". At $399 or $499 combo pkg. with extra batteries/accessories is a great deal.

I have been using a drone for inspections for 2 years. I started with a Mavic 2 but now have a Spark. I am really happy with the results. There are many roofs that a 22 Ft ladder or a pole camera won't work. We have one developer that builds tall narrow homes that need a a 30 Ft ladder. Personally even if I carried one I would not feel safe either putting it up and using it without someone to foot it.

The Spark is 2.5lbs but has a 12MP / 1080p camera. I rarely fly it out of view or higher than 75 ft. For roof inspections it does a great job. The DJI software is well written and lets you know if your are trying to fly in a restricted area.

The Spark is no longer produced and been replaced by the Mini. The Mini is so small it does not even need to be registered. Quite frankly the drone test and license is really targeted to the large drone users who are going to be fly up with the private aircraft NOT drones being used for roof inspections.

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bunzel View Post
    Quite frankly the drone test and license is really targeted to the large drone users who are going to be fly up with the private aircraft NOT drones being used for roof inspections.
    Rick,

Do you know if changes have actually been made to the FFA licensing requirements?

Home inspectors (or anyone else) using a drone for other than a hobby (using a drone as part of a business is not a hobby) was required to be licensed under the commercial license part.

Has that changed?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I have using a drone for two years since getting my FAA license. In 2021 I plan to make the jump, adding infrared. Its a lot easier to scan a commercial roof on the ground then the roof in the dark.

I use a drone for the steep and/or high ones, and walk the easy ones. There was no FAA test that I'm aware of, but I did register my drone with FAA for around $10 or something.
    I use a Autel Evo. I have video running while I'm flying over the roof very slowly and can hover over specific areas and take pics (even while the video is still running), its great. The pics and video are very hi res, I can blow them up on my laptop and get close-up views of flashing, chimney crowns, etc. I like walking "easy" roofs, but one time on a steeper roof as I started climbing up, I began slipping back toward the gutter and thought I was going over. After that I got the drone cause I have no desire to be hanging from a gutter LOL