Thread: Twisted girder

Default Twisted girder

This is on a 5 year old house still under builder's structural warranty. Girder is leaning on this end, then straightens after about 4', then twists slightly the opposite direction at the other end (total girder length is about 14').

Builder wrote a letter stating, "Because the floor system above the girder is a sheer plane, the loads imposed on the beam are not compromised. The slight twist of the beam has very little if any affect on its structural integrity. No repair is needed."

I would think that the downward load from the joists would promote additional leaning if the whole girder was leaning. Since only part of it is leaning, the load on the remaining area would help stabilize.

But I wanted to get thoughts from others to see if the consensus is that this is not a big deal as builder states.

040 (Copy).JPG