Default Looking for Lightest Ladder

As I am rapidly approaching 70, after 25 years of hauling and climbing heavy ladders, I am looking for a lighter alternative. I am currently using a 34 lb. Gorilla multi-ladder for roofs. What I need is something long enough and light enough to get into attics where the builder was too cheap to install a pull-down attic stair unit or the owner was too lazy to maintain it. I have looked at several alternatives like the Little Giant Helium (out of stock everywhere) and collapsible ladders. Since I cannot find the one I am tempted to look into the other. That said, I have never owned a collapsible anything other than a camping coffee cup. Whatever, I need for it to fit in the back of a Chrysler Pacifica van. Should I attempt to foist my 225 lbs onto something named collapsible, or does someone have a better idea?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    Texas Inspector
    http://www.texasinspector.com
    What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety, he makes up in clarity.

Default Re: Looking for Lightest Ladder

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Miller View Post
    As I am rapidly approaching 70, after 25 years of hauling and climbing heavy ladders, I am looking for a lighter alternative. I am currently using a 34 lb. Gorilla multi-ladder for roofs. What I need is something long enough and light enough to get into attics where the builder was too cheap to install a pull-down attic stair unit or the owner was too lazy to maintain it. I have looked at several alternatives like the Little Giant Helium (out of stock everywhere) and collapsible ladders. Since I cannot find the one I am tempted to look into the other. That said, I have never owned a collapsible anything other than a camping coffee cup. Whatever, I need for it to fit in the back of a Chrysler Pacifica van. Should I attempt to foist my 225 lbs onto something named collapsible, or does someone have a better idea?
    Aaron,

I am not quite to your age yet, but did get tired of lugging my standard 17' Little Giant and purchased a type 1 13' Little Giant 3-4 years ago, but I don't remember which model (it might have been MegaLight , LT, or something that has since been discontinued). It's not a type 1a, because it's rated for 250 lbs rather than the 300 lbs that most of the other LG ladders are rated for, but it's also not a helium. It's plenty strong enough and extends to 11', which is plenty long enough for indoors and probably 80 percent of roofs around here. I believe it only weighs 25 lbs.

I found the 13' to be plenty long enough for most of what I do and when I need something longer, I muscle the ultra-heavy 17' out of the back of my car and drag it around.

I suspect the lack of stock is because they are made in China and between the trade war and the pandemic, many items manufactured in China are in short supply.

I read some not favorable reviews on the LG Helium. Just FYI. I have no personal knowledge of that model.

I just don't trust the collapsible/telescoping ladders. They really flex/deflect noticeably and I figure it is going to collapse/telescope while I'm on it.

I suppose the other option is to get a 20' type 2 extension ladder and a 6 foot step ladder. I did that for many years. The problem is that it requires a rack on the roof. Certainly not as convenient as having something in the back of my vehicle.

Good luck

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

I had a Telesteps (I think it was the first made produced collapsible ladder, if not the first collapsible ladder), my was, I think, a second generation model (may have been a first generation model, don't know for sure).

I called it a "wet noodle" because that is what it felt like climbing up it.

I relegated it to our motorhome, and didn't trust it there either. I included it free of charge when we sold the motorhome (yes, I did show and tell on using it, including telling them that I called it a "wet noodle" and they likely won't feel safe using it either ... but it was now theirs to decide about).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Gunnar and JP:

Thanks Gunnar. Good ideas. Yep JP, I have always been wary of the telescoping contraptions.

Texas Inspector
    http://www.texasinspector.com
    What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety, he makes up in clarity.

Keep in mind the telescoping units won't help you in the middle of a garage, with nothing to lean it against.

I use a telesteps (short version) for closet hatches where it's nearly impossible to place a traditional ladder, or when the only way to get somewhere is a spiral staircase, etc. It's actually quite sturdy when only extended 3/4 or so. The upper portion is the equivalent to 2 strips of bamboo lashed together.

The LG is used for nearly everything else. And I slide the LG easily into the Dodge Caravan (on it's side in a wood receiver/holder I made).