Default Main service panel with missing bonding jumper

Inspecting an older house today with an updated GE panel. This is A MAIN SERVICE EQUIPMENT PANEL, I noticed that the neutrals and grounds were separated, the bonding jumper was removed and the bonding screw was on the ground bus bar. Looks like they have wired this panel as a secondary distribution panel to me (need help in determining if I should call this out as a defect) Thanks In Advance

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Sam Morris; 08-10-2020 at 05:44 PM.
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Main panel with missing bonding jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Morris View Post
    Inspecting an older house today with an updated GE panel. This is A MAIN panel, I noticed that the neutrals and grounds were separated, the bonding jumper was removed and the bonding screw was on the ground bus bar. Looks like they have wired this panel as a secondary distribution panel to me (need help in determining if I should call this out as a defect) Thanks In Advance
    When you say "MAIN panel" do you mean service equipment?

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    When you say "MAIN panel" do you mean service equipment?
    YES SIR

Default Re: Main service panel with missing bonding jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Morris View Post
    This is A MAIN SERVICE EQUIPMENT PANEL ...
    I KNOW WHAT PANEL Sam is talking about.

See that green screw in several of the photos? Lower left side?

That looks like it is screwed all the way in, in which case, that provides the bond from ground to the enclosure.

In another two other photos, the top part of the service equipment panel is shown, and it looks like ... "looks like" ... there is likely a metal connecting piece in that plastic which connects the neutral terminal bar (at the right side) of that panel with the ground terminal bar (at the left side).

I zoomed in, but the resolution of the photos is too low to see much when zooming in.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Default Re: Main service panel with missing bonding jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I KNOW WHAT PANEL Sam is talking about.

See that green screw in several of the photos? Lower left side?

That looks like it is screwed all the way in, in which case, that provides the bond from ground to the enclosure.

In another two other photos, the top part of the service equipment panel is shown, and it looks like ... "looks like" ... there is likely a metal connecting piece in that plastic which connects the neutral terminal bar (at the right side) of that panel with the ground terminal bar (at the left side).

I zoomed in, but the resolution of the photos is too low to see much when zooming in.
    This GE panel, usually has the jumper bar (strap) at the bottom for a main service panel (the bar is missing at he bottom) I have never seen one at he top ? I really need a bonding strap in this MAIN SERVICE panel. (QUESTION) So in a main service panel with this GE panel its OK to screw the bonding screw into the enclosure on any bus bar ? Why is there 2 places for the bonding screw, any ideal (this one was is in the equipment ground bar)

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Because the photos are not high enough resolution to zoom in much, the answer lies in this question:

What does the label on the panel show for bonding?

Did you take a photo of the label and schematic showing what it says?

An inspector can never take too many photos, and with a high enough resolution to be able to clearly show what is in the photo.

And 'extra' photos also help when the photo one wants is not well focused ... take enough photos and their will likely be a photo in focus.

"Back in the old days" ... of film and of Polaroids ... taking lots of photos was costly, but digital photos are free to take and look at (just ask Kodak ... oh, wait, they basically went out of the camera and film business, didn't they).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Photo isn't good enough to be positive, but it sure looks to me like there is a strap with black insulation running between busses.

When the jumper strap is at the bottom it is typically mounted to the bottom holes in the buss bars. The screws that are used to mount the buss bar to the metal cabinet aren't supposed to also be used for the jumper strap as one coming loose (or removed-happens) could float (un-ground) the neutral.
    And, so there is room for the strap the bar mounting screws get moved up, usually an inch or so. This panel doesn't appear to be set up for a bottom strap.

However, YMMV

Occam's eraser: The philosophical principle that even the simplest solution is bound to have something wrong with it.

Sorry the pictures have low pixel, it just makes it easier to download. Just wanted to post a picture of the jumper bar that is suppose to be attached at the bottom of a GE Main service breaker panel. This jumper or also called bonding strap is required for a main service panel.

Last edited by Sam Morris; 08-11-2020 at 11:47 AM.

Did you look at the label and instructions on the panel/cover?

I don't know about all panels, but I have seen some which require "a" bar to be installed, either: a) the metal bonding strap; or b) a composite/plastic stabilizing bar which holds the two bus bars in proper alignment at the bottom (the panels which have that bonding strap/bar only have little plastic tabs holding the ground and the neutral terminal bars in place - without that bonding/stabilizing bar from terminal bar to terminal bar, I have seen those plastic tabs which hold the terminal bars in place broken off and the terminal bars hanging loose at the bottom).

Bill and other electricians, how many panels have you guys seen with those bonding straps which the installation instructions required one or the other (bonding strap or stabilizing strap)?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Which one would you like the 1st inspection or the last inspection, both inspections today had GE panels. The 1st house was a secondary distribution panel (jumper bar removed, bonding screw to enclosure the on the equipment ground bus bar side) The 2nd inspection was also a secondary distribution panel with jumper bar removed. I have determined by my experience that the bonding strap in required at the bottom in this type Main Service GE panel. Thank You For You Time

Those are the circuit directories.

There should be one or more other labels with the instructions, termination torque, diagram (showing that bar, etc).

Sometimes on the cover, sometimes on the enclosure itself.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

To the OP, is there a disconnect at the meter? The grounding conductors & neutrals look to be separated, they ran a 4-wire feed, which would be fine if there a main outside. Looking at the photos, sometimes it looks like they put the required bushing on the fitting where the feeder enters the back of the panel, and in some photos it looks to be missing. There is a 2-pole SQ D HOM breaker in there, they are not classified by UL to be used in competitive panels, the T&B breakers are UL classified to be used in competitive panels that is how they were marketed when they were in production.

Last edited by Rollie Meyers; 08-15-2020 at 05:09 PM.