Thread: New Member

Default New Member

Trying to find answers to please our city inspectors. I want to build a deck that will be on a wall that has the exhaust vent from the gas fireplace. I need specks for an unknown brand and model fireplace.

Inspection Referral

Thanks for posting here and welcome to InspectionNews!

You will find a ton of information here but don't forget about the Member Benefits too.

Some save you time, others save you money and some do both!

Make sure you view the list of Member Benefits at: http://www.InspectionNews.net/home_i...MemberBenefits

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Maryland, DC, and Northern Virginia, electrical only

Default Re: New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Katie Hymes-Riechers View Post
    Trying to find answers to please our city inspectors. I want to build a deck that will be on a wall that has the exhaust vent from the gas fireplace. I need specks for an unknown brand and model fireplace.
    "Unknown brand and model" can be problematic. I suggest that if you haven't found the manufacturer's nameplate anywhere you looked, you might post pictures. There are some very knowledgeable people on this board. Even if they don't recognize it, they may be able to point you to
    look in a particular location.

Another alternative would be a dealer. I needed to find a replacement cartridge for a sink faucet, and a plumbing wonk at Ferguson Supply sent my images out to a number of the companies they deal with. No luck, as it happened, but she did make a serious effort, which I'm sure in other cases has been successful.

Default Re: New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Katie Hymes-Riechers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by david shapiro View Post
    "Unknown brand and model" can be problematic.
    Also problematic is that the code which the city inspectors use is not known.

Start by finding out the code, and year, and any local amendments to that code, which the city has adopted (some states have adopted statewide codes which are applicable statewide, some states have adopted statewide codes which are only applicable statewide if the local jurisdiction has not not adopted a code, some states leave it to the local jurisdictions to adopt a code ... or not adopt a code).

Here ( http://support.noritz.com/assets/svclr.pdf ) is a typical ... typical, and may not be applicable to your city ... clearance drawing and table listing the clearances from the National Fuel Gas Code.

That is only a starting point, and here is a caveat (a big one): most codes state to the effect of 'shall be installed with this code' (the code which is applicable) 'and' (yes, "AND") 'the manufacturer's installation instructions' ... which puts you back to David's reply regarding finding the brand and model of the "unknown brand and model fireplace".

"Typical" is only useful to a point, and in these cases, that point is that "and" in the code.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Wink Re: New Member

Thank you for your ideas. I was able to get into the fire surround box. I did find a label under 13 years of dust. After taking about 10-13 pictures I was able to figure out a 'Model number' for the fireplace insert. I Googled the model number and found exactly what I needed. I printed out some of the information to add to my files of 'HOUSE INFORMATION BOOKS'. I try to save books and info on everything, from carpets to the types of paint I use to fans and water softener. Comes in VERY handy. Like it would have for the fireplace insert. Thank you again. My Problem is now solved.