Default New Member Trying to figure out electrical issues in apartment

Hello, I live in Southern California and am renting an apartment. I have some very basic electrical knowledge. My property manager has been giving me the runaround about so many issues in my place. They have the outside community lights wired to my main panel box. I was told by the electric company that I had every right to not have the service put in my name because of that. The property manager basically bullied me into doing it anyway. This was in January of this year. I complained about it a couple of months later and his solution was to just take down the exterior lights. He only took down two of the three and also left the outside outlet hooked up. The building had a remodel recently and they took it down to the studs. From my understanding all the electrical should have been updated at that point. I've found several code violations but they won't inspect currently because of Covid. Im including pictures of my main panel, subpanel and a couple others. If anyone could tell me if there is anything wrong I would greatly appreciate it. There is a serious static discharge in my apartment that is steadily getting worse. My cabinet handles are even testing hot. I can light up led lights by touching them. There is wiring that is hot but not wire nutted in fixture boxes. 20200811_173713.jpg20200811_174245.jpg20200811_174222.jpg20200811_174206.jpg20200811_174017.jpg20200811_173927.jpg20200811_173901.jpg20200811_173836.jpg20200811_173819.jpg20200811_174713.jpg

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Wink Re: New Member Trying to figure out electrical issues in apartment

I recommend you hire a good electrical contractor to thoroughly go over your electrical from the main service equipment to your main disconnect (to see if anything is connected to your meter before your main disconnect), and everything from your main disconnect to your apartment.

Turning off every breaker and determining what controls what, and make a detailed circuit directory.

If you are still not sure about everything after your main disconnect, but are sure that nothing is connected between your meter and your main disconnect, then have some friends stand around the apartment grounds at night, take photos of all lights, signs, etc, turn your main breaker off, and have your friends take photos where anything went off.

Turn your main breaker back on and take photos of everything that came back on.

Things that went off, but not back on, need to be checked for why they went off.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Default Re: New Member Trying to figure out electrical issues in apartment

Not being a smart-ass, but you should probably just move.

These hostile landlord/tenant disputes (when the issue is a building violation or a construction code or claims of similar), invariably lead down a never-ending rabbit hole.

It's highly unlikely your manager, super or property liaison will be changing their mind based on what new facts you may bring to light.

Good luck.

I understand what Im up against. This building is a fire waiting to happen so if I just move and it catches fire in the future it would eat away at my conscious. Too many people aren't willing to fight for what's right and that's a problem. Im looking for input on this forum to see if anyone has any advice on what might e wrong with the wiring not whether I should move or not.
    QUOTE=Dom D'Agostino;286942]Not being a smart-ass, but you should probably just move.

These hostile landlord/tenant disputes (when the issue is a building violation or a construction code or claims of similar), invariably lead down a never-ending rabbit hole.

It's highly unlikely your manager, super or property liaison will be changing their mind based on what new facts you may bring to light.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for your input sir.
    I cant hire an electrician to look at things because zi have to have the owners permission. I have already went through the steps of seeing which breaker goes to what. All of them are labeled wrong. My concern is that something isn't grounded or bonded correctly.QUOTE=STEVEN Moore;286940]Hello, I live in Southern California and am renting an apartment. I have some very basic electrical knowledge. My property manager has been giving me the runaround about so many issues in my place. They have the outside community lights wired to my main panel box. I was told by the electric company that I had every right to not have the service put in my name because of that. The property manager basically bullied me into doing it anyway. This was in January of this year. I complained about it a couple of months later and his solution was to just take down the exterior lights. He only took down two of the three and also left the outside outlet hooked up. The building had a remodel recently and they took it down to the studs. From my understanding all the electrical should have been updated at that point. I've found several code violations but they won't inspect currently because of Covid. Im including pictures of my main panel, subpanel and a couple others. If anyone could tell me if there is anything wrong I would greatly appreciate it. There is a serious static discharge in my apartment that is steadily getting worse. My cabinet handles are even testing hot. I can light up led lights by touching them. There is wiring that is hot but not wire nutted in fixture boxes. 20200811_173713.jpg20200811_174245.jpg20200811_174222.jpg20200811_174206.jpg20200811_174017.jpg20200811_173927.jpg20200811_173901.jpg20200811_173836.jpg20200811_173819.jpg20200811_174713.jpg[/QUOTE]

Talk to Fire Marshal.

It is the Fire Marshal's responsibility for fire and their prevention.

And be prepared to vacate the apartment if it is as bad as you say.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Im looking for input on this forum to see if anyone has any advice on what might be wrong with the wiring
    Frankly, only an in-person evaluation/inspection will yield any meaningful results.

Maryland, DC, and Northern Virginia, electrical only

Static electricity is one thing. All sorts of items being energized suggests the possibility that circuits' return current is traveling over the grounding wires, as when the main bonding jumper is interrupted; or when nongrounded circuits are grounded (bootlegged) to the "neutral" conductor. Jerry said it straight. While there's no guarantee that the fire marshal will act responsibly, I'd recommend listing the observations that concern you with regard to the apartment's safety and reporting them to that office.