Default Damp patch near shower

A damp patch is noticed near the shower wall. The patch is located next to the shower. The shower is a snap on sterling (Koehler company) shower. Any thoughts where the water could be coming from. The bottom as well as the area above the damp patch are dry. The wall behind the shower falls towards the interior stairs l. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

+ Bill

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Damp patch near shower

Those small photos are very hard to discern.
    Also need a pull back shot as I don't know what we're looking at or from what perspective.

Other than that, if I see water damage (I assume in front of ) a shower stall or shower pan, I conclude there's a water leakage or possible "sloppy showering" (shower curtain, glass door, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Those small photos are very hard to discern.
    Also need a pull back shot as I don't know what we're looking at or from what perspective.

Other than that, if I see water damage (I assume in front of ) a shower stall or shower pan, I conclude there's a water leakage or possible "sloppy showering" (shower curtain, glass door, etc.).
    Dom-thank you for your message. Please see another picture if it helps. This is the front of the shower. The dampness is a little above the place where the bath tub ends

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

As Dom, was saying (sort of saying) - the photos don't indicate if that is the head of the shower (the wall with the shower head and plumbing) or not.

If that is not the head of the shower, it is unlikely a shower head/valve/pipe leak (there could be a pipe leaking in the wall, but there could be a pipe in any wall), which makes more likely to be related to showering (and there appears to be a joint at that location too).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

This looks more recognizable.
    I see water damage in that area regularly, especially with liners or curtains.
    I don't speculate on what, or who, did it, only that it's there.
    Of course I test the spot for moisture, as they are frequently damp from active leakage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    As Dom, was saying (sort of saying) - the photos don't indicate if that is the head of the shower (the wall with the shower head and plumbing) or not.

If that is not the head of the shower, it is unlikely a shower head/valve/pipe leak (there could be a pipe leaking in the wall, but there could be a pipe in any wall), which makes more likely to be related to showering (and there appears to be a joint at that location too).
    Jerry - it is the head of the shower. Another picture attached.

Being at the head of the shower, there is a more likely reason than if that was elsewhere.

Being as that joint is so high (relatively speaking) above the top of the tub, 'water being splashed up into the joint' is unlikely.

The likely cause of the water at the end of the joint is from water getting into the joint and traveling horizontally, weeping out to the wall at the end of the joint.

With that being the head wall, and the joint being below the tub spout (and valve even higher up), leakage from the tub spout back into the wall (or leakage from the valve) could travel down to that joint, then travel horizontally to where it is creating that wet area.

Naturally, the amount of water leaking into the wall could be much greater than the little bit showing up at that area.

Did you notice the white buildup at the bottom of the tub spout escutcheon?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Check to see if the tub is level. Happens more often then you think. It may be leaning towards the open side, which will cause problems.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

There is no white build up at the tub spout escutcheon.

the tub seems level.

the weep is at the joint. This is a snap on shower by sterling. As shower in this bath was taken yesterday and it was damp last night when I checked it. This morning it is less damp. I will check with the moisture meter and update. In the meanwhile see attached. Thoughts on how to proceed and the potential costs would be appreciated.

One thing i noticed is that the setting of the joint on the shower head side is not as flush as the other side

I thought this was an inspection related issue, it seems you're looking for repair advice or something else. I just report the findings.

I see water leakage at this specific area so frequently I don't get bogged down on "who/what/why".