Default Identification of flat roof surface

22-Apr-20_1017v5t.jpeg22-Apr-20_1018afh.jpeg22-Apr-20_1022jyo.jpeg22-Apr-20_10182sy.jpeg

I have someone adamantly saying that all materials on this roof are modified bitumen. Can anyone help me identify them?

Thank you for your input.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Identification of flat roof surface

FYI: Your uploaded photos open to the size of a postage stamp.

I see 2 different types of granulated or mineral coated roofing systems, at least 1 of which is mechanically fastened.
    They make mod bit in a bunch of types:
    torch down, self-stick, hot asphalt, cold process adhered, and nail down varieties.

That roof looks like a "homeowner weekend special" installation, and may be mineral surfaced/granulated asphalt.

I don't know what you were there for, if you are writing a report or what.
    In terms of what the roofing material is, the grey stuff is probably a rock impregnated bitumen, standard issue type. The green stuff looks more like roll asphalt.
    That's all pretty irrelevant. You can apologize for misstating the roofing material in your report, chalk it up to differences in verbiage, whatever.
    The important factor is that you make it clear to your client that they will need to budget for a new roof. When you have a roof with multiple materials and lots of tar patching, its not a question of if the house needs a new roof but how soon. You can see all the missing granules on the grey roof areas so its getting towards the end of its life span anyway. If the area around the duct work isn't leaking already it will be.
    Don't let however is challenging you to steer the conversation away from the relevant information. In this case, whether you made a mistake naming the product isn't what matters. The relevant issue is that the roof is a POS. If you need to, focus on highlighting all the tar patching and missing granule areas. Focus on the specific defects.

Developers, flippers, etc. always like to counter information with good sounding nonsense that actually has no bearing on the question at hand. Clients don't know any better. They don't know that its just good sounding BS. Its our job as professionals to explain to the client that the answers they are being given are good sounding salesman BS, not actual answers to the question at hand.
    I don't know what its like in your area but I can tell you around here Developers, flippers, agents, sellers are playing the odds. They are hoping that the buyer is dealing with an inspector who doesn't do follow up. I'm always amazed at how many inspectors don't do follow up with clients. They don't answer buyer questions, they don't give feed back, they don't help buyers work through the BS answers the buyer is being told by the selling side, etc.
    From what I see/hear there are multiple reasons for this. Some inspectors are just as dumb, some are too lazy or it doesn't fit their work model and some use the old liability excuse. Around here the odds are good for a seller that the buyer will have a crappy inspector who doesn't help the buyer work through or counter BS questions. The selling side can provide good sounding irrelevant answers and get the deal done. The buyer will be screwed.
    Provide you clients relevant information not boilerplate crap.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Very good, I had written as mod bit and rolled roofing, and someone was challenging that saying it was all mod bit. to be transparent, I am not an inspector. I write estimates to repair damages to property. I apologize if I'm not supposed to be here, I found this searching for visual differences in the two roof types

Yeah don't worry about that. Anybody who needs some building edumacation belongs here.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"