Default Structural Issues re: pool decking

I am having issues getting my pool builder to address some decking issues that started happening shortly after the completion of our pool. It appears that the foundation failed due to improper construction and the failure of the deck is causing it to pull away from the coping and mastic and there are cracks that have occurred in the pool shell in multiple places.
    I need some advice on what needs to be done as I am looking to the builder to take care of this as he wants to claim it's typical soil movement - my 2 neighbors have pools and they have not had these issues.

Thanks,
    LynnIMG_0690.jpgIMG_0691.jpgIMG_0692.jpgIMG_0694.jpgIMG_0695.jpg

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Structural Issues re: pool decking

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Robinson View Post
    It appears that the foundation failed due to improper construction and the failure of the deck is causing it to pull away from the coping and mastic and there are cracks that have occurred in the pool shell in multiple places.
    he wants to claim it's typical soil movement
    It is possible that both of you are correct ... it is all in the wording ... and the construction/design/lack thereof to address the soil movement your pool contractor is blaming it on.

The design and construction of the pool, and pool deck, should be based on the load bearing capacities of the soil. If the load bearing capacities of the soil were not know, or not verified, then the design was based on some "assumed" (and I am specifically using that word instead of my usual "presumed" word because of what can be done with the word "a$$-u-me" word) soil capacity.

With a known low load bearing soil capacity, a proper foundation can be designed and constructed, in some areas, that has meant putting the pool and pool deck on pilings, so if the response is 'soil movement, it needs pilings', the reply is 'okay, put pilings in ... on your dime, not mine, as you should have tested the bearing capacity of the soil.

IF, however, the soil bearing capacity was actually tested, then the cost to repair may be on the soil engineer, the pool design engineer, or possibly both, depending on what the test showed, how the tests where done, and how many sample areas were checked.

You may need to contact a construction attorney in your area as they would know, or have experts who would know, what is common and done in your area for the various locations and the soil in those locations.

Sometimes ... sometimes the cause is 'undiscoverable' by normal means and methods and 'things just happen', such as sink holes, earthquakes, mud slides, etc.

Of course, though, those above 'sometimes' things does not fit with the contractor's claim of "typical soil movement" as there is nothing "typical" about those "sometimes" things.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    It is possible that both of you are correct ... it is all in the wording ... and the construction/design/lack thereof to address the soil movement your pool contractor is blaming it on.

The design and construction of the pool, and pool deck, should be based on the load bearing capacities of the soil. If the load bearing capacities of the soil were not know, or not verified, then the design was based on some "assumed" (and I am specifically using that word instead of my usual "presumed" word because of what can be done with the word "a$$-u-me" word) soil capacity.

With a known low load bearing soil capacity, a proper foundation can be designed and constructed, in some areas, that has meant putting the pool and pool deck on pilings, so if the response is 'soil movement, it needs pilings', the reply is 'okay, put pilings in ... on your dime, not mine, as you should have tested the bearing capacity of the soil.

IF, however, the soil bearing capacity was actually tested, then the cost to repair may be on the soil engineer, the pool design engineer, or possibly both, depending on what the test showed, how the tests where done, and how many sample areas were checked.

You may need to contact a construction attorney in your area as they would know, or have experts who would know, what is common and done in your area for the various locations and the soil in those locations.

Sometimes ... sometimes the cause is 'undiscoverable' by normal means and methods and 'things just happen', such as sink holes, earthquakes, mud slides, etc.

Of course, though, those above 'sometimes' things does not fit with the contractor's claim of "typical soil movement" as there is nothing "typical" about those "sometimes" things.

Thanks Jerry - very good info. Their was no soil test/sample taken by pool builder but he was familiar with soil in our area as he commented on the fact that we sit over the aquifer recharge zone and there have been alot of issues with home foundations in our area - my home has not had the issue but a few streets over there were several homes that did. I presumed he was the building/foundation expert since I hired a custom pool builder and he prided himself on his quality work.

From start to finish we will be with you every step of the way, as we are owner supervised. With over 40 years experience you will enjoy the confidence we deliver. We provide and accept only the industries highest standards.
    professionally designed starting with a thorough assessment of your yard, space and surroundings. We compliment your home's d?cor, reflecting the pool design, textures and colors of your home. Our main objective is to have a beautifully completed project that looks as if, it has been in the backyard from day one.. We account for the changes in elevations as well as the existing landscapes. The swimming pools we construct are made of only the finest materials available and will last a lifetime. Our hands on, owner supervised projects ensure a smooth running and completed project. Our subcontractors are tested, tried and proven, each and everyone is required to carry liability insurance. A xxx Custom Pool swimming pool is well known to be unique in design and functionality. It is not just your pool, it is ours!

Here is what the website says about their excavation and decking process:
    Excavation is the first phase of the construction process. The first step is to 'peg out' the shape of the pool into place ensuring correct dimensions and elevations. Following a layout inspection by your city entity, the physical excavation of the hole and trenching begins. It is vital that the excavation is completed by experienced excavators as this is a critical part of the process which demands accuracy and professionalism.

We will first do a layout of the decking to show you where the concrete will be poured. Forming will be required for the deck stage. Rebar is once again, added for extra strength, it is actually dowelled into the gunite shell at points around the pool perimeter. Depending on your choice of decking (plain, exposed aggregate, pavers or stamped, sundek, stone, travertine etc.) the concrete must be poured into place first. The deck will be reinforced with 3/8" steel rebar and where over 4" above ground will require turn-down beam to reinforce your decking, giving the deck a "reinforced leg" to stand on. If you have a stone covered deck, our masons will return during this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Robinson View Post
    ... he was familiar with soil in our area as he commented on the fact that we sit over the aquifer recharge zone and there have been alot of issues with home foundations in our area ...
    That shows he was aware that the area has issues, which is evidence the such issues should be investigated to confirm their presence or absence at the location of the work.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com