Default make sure to look down the plumbing vents

I always look down the plumbing vents when on the roof. This time I saw a flex hose connected. Later while in the attic I found that all three bathroom vents were connected to a single 2" PVC pipe going straight through the roof. Obviously restrictive of airflow but also open to rain leaking straight into the structure. This is a first for me in 14 yrs of inspecting. Sometimes ya wonder....

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: make sure to look down the plumbing vents

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    I always look down the plumbing vents when on the roof.
    Absolutely agree, and seeing a lead boot flashing does not mean anything is it may not have anything in it (found several of those) or the lead flashing may not be crimped over the top of the plumbing vent stack (found several of those too) or the lead may be crimped over the top of the plumbing vent stack leaving no opening (found many of those, plumbing vents don't "vent" when blocked by anything ... which includes plumbers' test balls which were never removed).

This time I saw a flex hose connected. Later while in the attic I found that all three bathroom vents ...
    "bathroom vents"

Do you mean as in "plumbing vent stack" or as in "bathroom exhaust fan vents?

I see a plumbing vent stack in the background, and what looks like exhaust fan flex duct connected to the 'vent' you are deferring to.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Default Re: make sure to look down the plumbing vents

Jerry, The picture from the roof is the 2" pipe that all of the bathroom vents were connected to. The picture taken from the attic side is the actual attachment of the bath fans to that 2" pvc pipe.