Default Crack above Garage Door. Should I be worried?

Hi folks,

I?m recently in the process of closing a house. Had a home inspection last week and found out about this mortar crack right above the garage door. It is on the leftmost side of the house.

Inspector said to just fill it with crack sealer and I should be fine, but I?m a little worried if this is related to structural damage. Pictures attached.
    https://ibb.co/xJtG68P
    https://ibb.co/RvMnDmW

What are you guys thoughts on this? Does it look like to you a severe problem or something you wouldn?t worry about?

Thanks in advance!

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Crack above Garage Door. Should I be worried?

Have to disagree on that. A open joint at that location suggests lintel issues. Also from the pic, and I could be wrong based on the pic, looks like the lintel has a bit of a bow in it. If it actually does then you may have an undersized lintel that is having stress issues.
    You would want to look across the lintel to see if it really does have a bow, look along the bottom edge to assess rust extent, look at the interior to see if you can figure out the size of the intel and/or see the backside where it sits on presumably the framing.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    Have to disagree on that. A open joint at that location suggests lintel issues. Also from the pic, and I could be wrong based on the pic, looks like the lintel has a bit of a bow in it. If it actually does then you may have an undersized lintel that is having stress issues.
    You would want to look across the lintel to see if it really does have a bow, look along the bottom edge to assess rust extent, look at the interior to see if you can figure out the size of the intel and/or see the backside where it sits on presumably the framing.
    Thank you for the info. I looked everywhere but don?t see the lintel. Maybe it?s hidden inside the drywall?
    What is the long term effect of this in 3-5 years? I?m trying to decide if this is a deal break for buying this house. Everything else is pretty good but this crack had me thinking if the builder is reliable.

Thanks again for the input.

First off, around here its fairly common for a builder or the contractors to put in smaller beams than are shown on the approved Plans. For the small amount of money a guy saves its dumb but all those small amounts in each category add up to real money for a developer or contractor.
    If this is new construction then I suggest you get ahold of the approved plans and ask the Builder to verify in writing that what was installed is what was on the approved Plans. Also if they are building other homes in the area go and look at one of the unfinished ones to see what is installed there and how much end bearing it has. Another option is to ask the builder for a meeting onsite with the mason who did the installations to discuss the masonry.

If this is a house that is a few years old, getting documentation is unlikely. While this is a potential cost factor I wouldn't go so far as to say its a reason to run. If this is the only issue you are concerned with then you are far better off than most buyers (around here). If this is one of many issues then you may want to think about the deal very thoroughly.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

By the look of the crack (it appears to be separating at the end of the support for the masonry above the opening), it may be a shelf angle (supported by a beam behind it to which the shelf angle is attached, versus a lintel which spans the opening and is supported at each end, but not attached to the framing behind it).

It is cheaper to install a shelf angle than a lintel, and as Markus said "For the small amount of money a guy saves its dumb but all those small amounts in each category add up to real money for a developer or contractor.", a drawback of a shelf angle is that it is subject to movement of the framing relative to movement (or lack of movement) of the masonry as the shelf angle is attached to and supported by the framing.

However, that is based on zooming in on those photos, which that source does not allow (zooming in, only clicking on the "+" to enlarge it). Doing a screen capture and zooming in on the screen capture loses resolution and clarity.

If you can't load the photos directly to the board, put the photo in a .pdf file and load it - pdf files allow zooming in with the "+" and "-" buttons without losing resolution.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

To me this look like it could be thin brick and if so it is probably installed in adhered fusion.

more info is needed and better pictures.

Mark Parlee
    WWW.theBuildingConsultant.com
    EDI instructor, EIFS AMSV