Default Height of shower base

Is there a height limit a shower base can be above a floor? See attached photo.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Height of shower base

I'm not aware of a height restriction. If there is it would probably apply to the manufacturing portion of the shower base not the installation part. Like I said though I'm not aware of one.
    More importantly that installation is a trip hazard going in and a fall hazard coming out, especially for kids or older folks. That's essentially 1 1/2 steps up.
    The following may be a local thing but around here whenever we see a shower raised up like that or a bathroom floor that has been raised up its pretty safe to assume that the drain lines are some combination of not compliant, in the process of becoming a problem and/or not done by an actual Plumber.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

I would not worry about it unless it was higher than a standard tub. We have that situation almost every day in an inspection. Was the floor in the shower level with the bathroom floor or sunken even lower?

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    I would not worry about it unless it was higher than a standard tub.
    Or even some Jacuzzi and other brand hydromassage tubs.

We removed a Jacuzzi tub and put in a shower for that very reason - getting to hard to step over that high tub side for a shower. We didn't want to jack hammer the slab out to put in a zero threshold shower, but at about 3" high, the curb height should be okay for the long run.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com