Default Stair Handrail above risers.

Code says that handrails shall begin at a point directly above the bottomriser to a point directly above the top riser.

Does that mean any locations above the risers or the the edge or past the risers?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Stair Handrail above risers.

First, I see trip hazard stair nosings.

To your question, I'll word the answer to the question as though the question was worded for my answer (the question, as worded, leaves vague areas).

The bottom of the handrail shall extend at least down to the bottom riser (not short of the bottom riser as shown), with an exception that it can end at a Newell post in the first tread. Then the handrail returns to the wall, floor or ends at a Newell post - that return should start below (after a vertical line extending the plane of the first riser).

The top of the handrail shall extend at least up to the highest riser (last riser, with first riser being down at the other end of the stair), then return to a wall, floor or ends into a Newell post.

The handrail shall be graspable the entire length of the stair/flight of stairs (handrail can end/start again at a landing, if no landing then handrail shall be continuous from top riser to bottom riser.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Default Re: Stair Handrail above risers.

Thanks for sharing